Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: trials and tribulations of the 84s

trials and tribulations of the 84s

hey all,

well the pair of 84s just double teamed me with blowby issues. mine's puking half a quart into the stinger style puke tank from the crankcase in 30 miles of 10psi mixed driving; this was after doing a few 16psi datalog pulls, and it started running a bit rough on part throttle. of course, once it cooled down, everything is _fine_. im thinking its either the HG blew out, or the deck isnt sealing correctly.

jayme's started bogging and missing yesterday, and i just pulled off the VAM, and it was _full_ of oil. same situation when i first got it, but it had not returned once i turned the wick down from the 17psi it was at. been running 12-13psi without issue for a few hundred miles, and it decides to act up this weekend of any of em..

off to the leakdown test they go this evening.

$random_curse @ $random_deity.

--Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    hey all,

well the pair of 84s just double teamed me with blowby issues. mine's puking half a quart into the stinger style puke tank from the crankcase in 30 miles of 10psi mixed driving; this was after doing a few 16psi datalog pulls, and it started running a bit rough on part throttle. of course, once it cooled down, everything is _fine_. im thinking its either the HG blew out, or the deck isnt sealing correctly.

jayme's started bogging and missing yesterday, and i just pulled off the VAM, and it was _full_ of oil. same situation when i first got it, but it had not returned once i turned the wick down from the 17psi it was at. been running 12-13psi without issue for a few hundred miles, and it decides to act up this weekend of any of em..

off to the leakdown test they go this evening.

$random_curse @ $random_deity.

--Alex
    So, Sunday Autox unlikely for yall...Bummer dude. I just discovered oil in the intake track, built up pretty good. Saw it as I was installing my 65 mm throttle body and rebuilt turbo from Charlie. So I slapped a new Motorcraft PCV valve and a check valve in the line. Still need to swap out the valve stem seals as well. Waiting to see the results after AutoX Sunday. My original rebuilt motor install may be in the very near future. Problem is this motor still pulls awesome, runs good, compression was good, and in a leak down test worst offender was 11%, just a little puff of smoke hear and there...

Hopefully you can get something going to see you all Sunday...

Tim

Cleaning oil residue from the intake track on a Type 4 PCV system is considered normal, periodic maintenance. You waited too long.

NEVER let a car know it's going to an auto-x before the event. Sometimes they will revolt ahead of the event.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

It just wants some love and affection

If your heart was really broken, you'd be dead. So shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
    It just wants some love and affection
    well, they got some rough love this weekend. drove em down, beat the living snot on a hot auto-x course, and drove em back. no muss, no fuss. :whew:

Thanks to DaveS and family for putting up with us; especially for the sat night 'please let this pass tech' wrenching session. jayme's 84 is in much better running order now. next up for her's is to get a 7.5 rear end swapped back in, hooking the stock boost control system back up, and beg/borrow/steal some koni reds so she can be officially be in G-Stock.

as for mine, fixed a few long time leaks, and found a few more. (turbo drains, shift selector arm bushing, and tailshaft seal, oh my) both of em have crankcase evact/vent issues, but its been like that for years now, not in that big of a rush to fix em just as the points season kicks in for the SCCA. next steps are to yank the LA3/QH setup, and slap the MS3x in; after seeing SVOTim's new hybrid launch outta the hole (and cut 5 second faster times on a 55 second course!!) , there is definitely a new turbo in the works, the HE341 is just too much for auto-x (but its a @#$@#ing BLAST on the open road). after my wallet recovers from the unscheduled megasqurt purchase, ill be giving charlie a call

Glad you two made it down, and home with no problems. I'll give Jayme props for placing second in GStock her first time out, that was awesome. Dave better watch out...

Quote Originally Posted by SVOTim View Post
    I'll give Jayme props for placing second in GStock her first time out, that was awesome. Dave better watch out...
    she was walking on clouds yesterday

dived right in this evening; pulled the LA3 out and mounted up the MS3 under the passenger seat. this might take a while...

img_2843.jpg

also, this car is going on a serious diet once its running again. inner door hardware is getting moved over to jayme's, and the battery will get relocated to behind the passenger seat (need to check SCCA rulebook on that one, IIRC its ok as long as its vented outside the passenger compartment or using a sealed battery); i think that way i can fit tires in the trunk area without too much fuss. most of the sound deadner is gooey, so it'll get stripped and replaced with some nice dynamat in selected positions. who knows, might even put some new carpet in (gasp!)
    "radar detectors are illegal in the Commonwealth of Virgina" "i bet cloaking devices are illegal too! good-bye!"

What are your MS specs? Using a wide Band? Sequencial fuel? What about spark? what version?

(need to check SCCA rulebook on that one, IIRC its ok as long as its vented outside the passenger compartment or using a sealed battery);
    17) Any wet-cell battery moved from the manufacturer’s original location shall be in a non-conductive, marine-type container or equivalent and the “hot” terminal shall be insulated. All batteries (on-board power supplies) shall be attached securely to the frame or chassis structure independent of the marine-type container. NOTE: This will allow the use of gel cell or dry cell (AGM) batteries without a nonconductive, marine-type container where applicable.

BTW - We have the 2012 Solo Rule Book on the site here:

http://www.svocop.com/Articles/2012_...ry_reduced.pdf

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Quote Originally Posted by Raven855 View Post
    What are your MS specs? what version?
    ms3x 3.57

Using a wide Band?
    yup, AEM. also have a narrow band installed that'll be used for closed loop once the VE table has been massaged over; the narrow band is much more responsive then the wide band.

Sequential fuel? What about spark?
    batch fire low-z fuel for starters, just running off the TFI for now. eventually it'll get a crank trigger, ditch the dizzy for a cam pos sensor from a dual plug motor, and go full sequential fuel/spark with LS logic level coils and the hi-z 55s ive got sitting on the shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    17) Any wet-cell battery moved from the manufacturer’s original location shall be in a non-conductive, marine-type container or equivalent and the “hot” terminal shall be insulated.
    check and check already with the 'trunk' mount. i'll need to check the rules over at the local concrete dyno, i think they follow NHRA for test and tune night/saturday bracket, and it has just slightly different requirements. not that big of a deal currently.
    Last edited by Alex L; 05-23-2012 at 04:12 AM.
    "radar detectors are illegal in the Commonwealth of Virgina" "i bet cloaking devices are illegal too! good-bye!"

How are you configuring the low Z injectors? Resistors or something like the JBPerf boards? Are you planning on using Can bus? Maf or SD?
    Last edited by Raven855; 05-23-2012 at 05:24 AM. Reason: question

How are you configuring the low Z injectors? Resistors or something like the JBPerf boards?
    planned on using the PWM limiting batch fire drivers off the main board; but now im thinking i might just put the 55lb hi-zs in now and run the extra wires and save me some pain getting it to idle.

Are you planning on using Can bus? Maf or SD?
    no plans/needs for canbus right now. been running SD on the LA3 for a while, so ill keep it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    BTW - We have the 2012 Solo Rule Book on the site here:

http://www.svocop.com/Articles/2012_...ry_reduced.pdf
    oh son of a ... talked to the SCCA tech, and we're supposed to be running in CP and not EP, which requires a 52mm restirctor plate pre-turbo. guess they didnt hear the turbo part when they classed me in EP years ago. :hurpderp:

gave charlie a call, and told em 'give me what he gave SVOTim, that thing HAULS...' also, it has a 52mm inlet, so yay, no plate needed. so the T3 is going for a trip down to Florida.

Make your own plate - about 2 inches long with LARGE radius edges coming into/out of the center that is exactly 52mm.

Remember the IMSA GTP series? A 1000HP turbo engine with a 57mm restrictor reduced the power to ~850HP in 1988. Then in 1989 the restrictor went to 54mm and reduced power to ~750HP. So with a 52mm restrictor you should be good to about 600 HP.

(aka Anonymous) Club Member Patrick's Avatar

Heh heh. I made a turbo inlet restrictor once that would disappear at the beginning of the event and reappear at the end. FIA had diagrams of how they expected it to be made and installed. It met the letter of the rules completely.
    "Just leave me alone. I know what to do" (Kimi)

Heh heh. I made a turbo inlet restrictor once that would disappear at the beginning of the event and reappear at the end. FIA had diagrams of how they expected it to be made and installed. It met the letter of the rules completely.
    Isn't that officially referred to as [Re]Movable Aerodynamic Devices?

(aka Anonymous) Club Member Patrick's Avatar

I prefer "Quick Change".

Handy at a toll booth, as well.
    "Just leave me alone. I know what to do" (Kimi)

Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    oh son of a ... talked to the SCCA tech, and we're supposed to be running in CP and not EP, which requires a 52mm restirctor plate pre-turbo. guess they didnt hear the turbo part when they classed me in EP years ago. :hurpderp:

gave charlie a call, and told em 'give me what he gave SVOTim, that thing HAULS...' also, it has a 52mm inlet, so yay, no plate needed. so the T3 is going for a trip down to Florida.
    Glad to hear that about the turbo, Whew. I wanted no part of that stupid fast LS6 Miata in XP class!! How in the heck did I come up with EP, guess I was thinking was in ESP, couple mods, go to EP. Don't work that way, huh. So I guess, here I come CP Class... There was no entries for CP last week, looking good for top finish.

Quote Originally Posted by SVOTim View Post
    So I guess, here I come CP Class... There was no entries for CP last week, looking good for top finish.
    So you are taking Dave's approach, "move to the next class so the wife doesn't beat me!" I like the avitar by the way.....

So you are taking Dave's approach, "move to the next class so the wife doesn't beat me!" I like the avitar by the way.....
    Funny you mention Dave, I've got him scratching head last week about modifiying his SVO.... doubtful, but I got him thinking.