Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The muffler discussion, here, only here.

The muffler discussion, here, only here.

Instead of 100s of threads about mufflers, I'd like to see if we can concentrate that info, and inquiries, so let's keep the muffler discussions to one thread. Please post your questions and experiences here.

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a DynoMax VT. I had a Moroso spiroflow on the Hoser (RIP) and until I put a bunch of insulation on the floor boards and wheel well, and extended the tail pipe out behind the bumper, it was ridiculously loud. So loud, that before all that work, I had to pull of the freeway drive to Knott's 2011 and buy a set of ear plugs.

I purchased an Holley aerochamber, but screwed up and purchased a central to central inlet/outlet arrangement. It isn't going to work, so I'm going to take the opportunity to try the VT instead. It has the internal flapper valve that diverts exhaust flow through the dampening when at low exhaust pressure, but opens up to a straight through when you get on it. There are two flavors, over/underer 4 liter. In correspondence with the Dynomax folks, I've decided to go with the over. It'll provid for more dampening during normal operation. LOL, I must be getting old.

Bob
    Enough of that, it was giving me a headache.

Building Boost
    I have the Hooker Maximum flow mufflers with tailpipes on the svo, the exhaust tone is nice, but this is still loud in the car..

Animated Italian Gigolo blueboss's Avatar
    I've got the Borla ProXS. Sounds real good, no drone.
    "Some trannys can operate both types of gearboxes but manual gearboxes with clutch pedals are more difficult to operate with heels on."

3" Magnaflow with a turndown in front of the axle. I think it sounds good, but the drone is bad because of the turndown. It's not that loud, either. This is the full size muffler, not one of the glasspack styles. I need to make a video.

Most compliments I ever got from my SVO sounding Awesome was when I was running Spintech mufflers. 3" in/out but the smallest version they make. Cheap at only 65.00 each, chambered not baffled ... Many people thought I had the idle just set to high on my V8

(aka Anonymous) Club Member Patrick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AKA BB View Post
    ... Many people thought I had the idle just set to high on my V8
    AKA BB is banned for sticking a V-8 in his SVO rather than a V-12 or H-16.
    "Just leave me alone. I know what to do" (Kimi)

I think one of those BMW M5 V-10 5 Liter engines would be pretty spiff - especially with that 7-speed SMG box behind it.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    AKA BB is banned for sticking a V-8 in his SVO rather than a V-12 or H-16.

DANG IT, not Again....

I had one guy ask me if I had a 460 in the SVO when it had the Moroso Spiroflow. Imagine his surprise when I opened the hood.
    Enough of that, it was giving me a headache.

Cool

I run a 3" Dynomax Ultraflo and I love the sound! It's got a nice rumble to it. Picked up a couple of 'em last year when SummitRacing had a blowout sale - $19.95 each! Put one on my TC also. With turbo motors, backpressure is your enemy. These mufflers have a basically straight through design which keeps backpressure to a minimum.

Building Boost
    I know there is a lot of hate against the flowmasters, but I run a 3" downpipe into a 3" midpipe, from there it goes into a better flowing split and into a flowmaster catback. It has a nice mellow deep sound and most people who have heard it seem to agree it sounds great for a four cylinder. No drone or anything inside of the car.
    86 SVO 9L - 14.5@98 when stock (Sold)

What's that tapping sound?? Chalky's Avatar
    I have a Flo-Pro "Max" on my car. 3" in/out, full stainless construction. Has a nice deep sound but doesn't drone.

We run the Dynomax Ultra Flo on my son's '88 LX. Does a good job of quieting it down and zero power loss. You can see some pics of the exhaust here: http://billsgarage.info/MustangMods.html
    My Web Site:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have 2-1/2" with Magnaflow #10416. Sounds OK. I'm hoping it will have a little more roar when I get the boost cranked up
    Brian
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Half Boost
    I am also running the Dynomax ultra flow ss. The exhaust is 3" from the turbo to the muffler and the muffler and over the axle is 21/2" without a cat. It has a very distinct sound when you get on it. Somewhere between a whistle and a scream. The car has a very nice sound I think.

Cool

I am running 3" back to the center of the car,then splits off to a Magnaflow 2.5" system. I love the sound and does not drone at highway speeds.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X-s24ttqLA&feature=plcp

I also installed a 3" Quicktime performance exhaust cutout that exits under the drivers seat. Still love to hear that open downpipe!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJf4mqt2cUw&feature=plcp

Jason
    86 SVO 1C BOOST addict!

Some Boost
    I may be the only person ever to be running an SLP LM1 catback (drivers side only) on my SVO. at the moment its catless and just expanded off of the 2.25in dp. (2.5in) catback

I plan to swap out the fuel pumps for fuel pump and put the other side and finish it off with a home made 3in downpipe.

http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...-36-01_827.mp4

Building Boost
    Heres a clip of my car.

86svo9l: That sounds really good. I ran flowmasters on my SVO with a Stinger 3" downpipe and 2.5" Stinger exhaust system back when the motor was mostly stock. I loved the sound.
    86 SVO 1C BOOST addict!

Building Boost
    Thanks! I have went through a few different exhaust systems and this is my favorite so it gets to stay.