Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The muffler discussion, here, only here.

Noob
    I have the full stinger drivers side single exhaust with a summit racing turbo muffler. Its not very loud and it has a deep tone with no drone. The only thing i wasnt happy about is that it drops in diameter inside the muffler to 2'' or 2.5''. I just purchased a dynomax like the one pictured above but havent installed it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by StealthVO View Post
    I have the full stinger drivers side single exhaust with a summit racing turbo muffler. Its not very loud and it has a deep tone with no drone. The only thing i wasnt happy about is that it drops in diameter inside the muffler to 2'' or 2.5''. I just purchased a dynomax like the one pictured above but havent installed it yet.
    Yeah, unfortunately the industry adopted the "turbo muffler" nomenclature for a muffler design that is about as turbo unfriendly as possible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I like my 3" MagnaFlow a lot. I bought a Flowmaster 3" tail pipe set, used the driver side only, and sold the passenger side to someone on TF.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    owned since 2003, restomod

Noob
    My 86 SVO is running a high flow cat and 2 Hooker maxium flow mufflers.The engine is mostly stock except for a HR276 cam with 470 lift from Racer Walsh I have people ask all the time if it's a V8 cause at idle it sounds like a 5.0 with the old B303 cam that Ford used to have.It's not loud and has just a very slight tone at highway speed to let you know something is there.

Some Boost
    How much work is the 3in tailpipe to put in? my 2.5 was a pita, but i think it was mostly because it was the wrong year.

Im on the fence about 1 3in tail, vs a traditional 2.5, as i dont have time to swap out the fuelpump yet. goal is 300 rwhp

If it is a well formed mandrel bent 3", it isn't that hard. Find the right shop to make the pipe, otherwise you'll be in for some trouble.
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

Some Boost
    I ordered a generic muffler , and a 3in tailpipe from stinger. Should be fun

I have been going with a strait pipe ending right below the drivers side seat for over 3 months....I have the pipes but everyone is too lazy to bend 3" so this weekend we are dropping off the SVO for my 3" exhaust to be placed on from a professional...I'll post 2 vids, one of the before sound and one of the after sounds
    '84 GT:375HP fun ride
    '84 SVO:stock daily ride...even winter

Here is a video of my 3" into dual 2.5". Stinger downpipe, midpipe and Y with Magnaflow mufflers. Stock motor except for the intake.

86 1D #9823
    H&R Sport Springs, T-Coupe Intercooler, CAI, Bosch Bypass, 3" DP

dual 2.5 magnaflows with tail pipes and no cat super quiet on the 86 on the 84 3" flow-pro max with turn down super loud its getting changed I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by SVOJOSH View Post
    dual 2.5 magnaflows with tail pipes and no cat super quiet on the 86 on the 84 3" flow-pro max with turn down super loud its getting changed I hope.
    The tailpipes vs turndown are the biggest thing that makes the first setup quiet and the second loud. Turn downs = loud in the car.

Agreed completely. Biggest interior quieting strategy is to get the exhaust to exit out from under the car.
    Enough of that, it was giving me a headache.

What's that tapping sound?? Chalky's Avatar
    Anyone tried the Magnaflow Magnapack's???? They look cool and sound sick on the V-8's. similar to a '65 K code Arvinode system.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalky View Post
    Anyone tried the Magnaflow Magnapack's???? They look cool and sound sick on the V-8's. similar to a '65 K code Arvinode system.
    Since Magnapack's aren't offered in an offset inlet/outlet configuration, they can't easily be used in the stock muffler location. They would need to be elsewhere in the system. Most likely at the end of the tailpipe or in front of the stock muffler location next to the driveshaft.

What's that tapping sound?? Chalky's Avatar
    Oh well, looks like I'm going with regular SS Magnaflows or Flo-pro's then, don't think I can be bothered making an adaptor elbow. I have a polished SS XL performance muffler from my old single 2.5" LX system but they dont make them anymore so i cant match it. Thanks mate

i'm wondering what a cherry bomb/glass-pack would sound like on these motors.

i'm considering a different muffler when i get around to remedying my exhaust turn down.

I used a Moroso spiroflow for several years. Loud, very loud. My buddy two country houses away could hear me fire up to pick him up for the Saturday coffee run.
    Enough of that, it was giving me a headache.

Am running the SS magiflow 2.5 in and out front to back , sounds great.
    The Machine speaks for itself !!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianM View Post
    Here is a video of my 3" into dual 2.5". Stinger downpipe, midpipe and Y with Magnaflow mufflers. Stock motor except for the intake.
    Sounds great I like it not to loud nice clean sound.
    The Machine speaks for itself !!

this maybe a bit off topic however what issues would one experience with a turbo car and too much back pressure from say a clogged cat converter?