Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: strut vs sla

It's a really comfy bench.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Who's spindle on the Griggs pictures?
    Enough of that, it was giving me a headache.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Holmes View Post
    Who's spindle on the Griggs pictures?
    the spindles on the GT500 with the GR40RT are Bruce's, using the Porsche 996 bearing which was lackluster to be nice, heat/weight whatever the case may be for failure, it always came at a very inopportune time :/

I had a fairly in depth conversation with him over this at dinner one night, before Colin pissed him off about the whole thing, saying that him and the Cortex guys had already had a solution, but couldn't prove anything to me as they hadn't put it through any track testing.

This didn't do me any good since I couldn't get 200 miles street use or 1, maybe 2 days of track use before I get a pre-failure noise to total failure ratio critical.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Meotchh
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Anyone who owns an SVO belongs in a Psychiatric hospital.

So you end up with bad hubs or bad bearings? Was that hub from a 996 - don't they weight abut 2900 Lbs? - being used on a GT500, weighing about 4000?

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Mike, the bearing would fail on the hub, but yes for the same reason, the heat and mainly the weight the bearing from the 996 would, fail, and lets keep the record straight, that's the bearing in the rear hub/upright on the Porsche 996 that is in Bruce's aluminum hub/knuckle assy.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    weighing about 4000?

This is before I cross weighted the car, but total was 3685lbs

(aka Anonymous) Club Member Patrick's Avatar

Try making a spacer for the bearings. Sort of like a pinion bearing spacer, but for the front hubs. I used them in many 6, 12, 24 hour endurance races with no failures.
    "Just leave me alone. I know what to do" (Kimi)

I assume that weight is without driver?

My EVO weighed 3651 when I first got it (full, no driver). It's about 150 Lbs lighter now (but I still weigh about the same).

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    I assume that weight is without driver?

My EVO weighed 3651 when I first got it (full, no driver). It's about 150 Lbs lighter now (but I stillweigh about the same).
    Yes that is without drive, and there are two of us at two very different weights that is has to be set-up for pending on who is driving, funny thing is the other driver doesn't know how to set the car up, so I have to use sacks of weight to set-it up for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Try making a spacer for the bearings. Sort of like a pinion bearing spacer, but for the front hubs. I used them in many 6, 12, 24 hour endurance races with no failures.

Pat go into a little more detail in what your trying to explain, are you talking about putting pre-load on the bearing?

My SVO after paint and re-assembly, ready to go (and petrol tank full).
    Img_0173.jpg

(aka Anonymous) Club Member Patrick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SVOC View Post
    Pat go into a little more detail in what your trying to explain, are you talking about putting pre-load on the bearing?
    Oops, I didn't see that post.

I made up spacers that fit between the inner and outer wheel bearing. Pre assemble it on the bench to measure free play. Surface grind the spacer to get to proper dimensions. For steel hubs, I went with..0005 to .001'. If using an aluminum hub, you may want to bring the hub up to operating temperature before measuring. The target was to have as close to zero free play at operating temp without any preload.

That was in a class where I was restricted to using factory stock hubs, bearings and struts. On another car in a less restricted class, I replaced the stub of the spindle with a mini stocker rear axle spud from Speedway Engineering and their aluminum hub. That assembly uses very stout bearings which fit an IHC front spindle or a Jaguar XKE differential.
    "Just leave me alone. I know what to do" (Kimi)