Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building my 85.5 SVO 'vert, updated weekly!

Building my 85.5 SVO 'vert, updated weekly!

The saga begins April 19, 2012

I found my 85.5 sitting in a field in Littleton, NC. I was enthralled, it looked perfect, no wreck damage, bi wing without sag, rims were ding free, then I opened the door and saw that the floor had been completely eaten away. I bought it anyway, the interior trim was complete and in very nice shape, the drive train was beautiful and original, even the seats had very little wear. I thought to myself that I could just replace the floor pans and bring this rare gem back to life and for $850 I couldnt pass it up, the guy selling it was quickly taking most of his "project cars" to the scrappers.

Then I towed it home and looked closer, the frame was more than gone, and if I had known how bad it was I would have used a flatbed to take it home instead of towing it with a car dolly 150 miles to Raleigh. The rails were disintegrated, the "A" pillar was literally being held together by paint, radiator support failing ect. ect. My dreams of restoring her to road worthiness were quickly gone. I was left contemplating what to do (I actually considered parting her out!) the next day is when I saw an ad on Craigslist for an 89 GT 'vert for $2000 (yes, I had Fox Body Fever) and thought I could take the money from parting out the SVO and invest it into restoring the vert.

I drove down to a small town called Liberty and looked at it only to discover that the sellers son had a really poor quality body kit on it, installed hood pins, slapped it with a bunch of distasteful Cobra badges and let small animals make their homes in the upholstery, the only thing this guy had done right on this car was keep it covered and for some reason had the really nice expensive cloth top with glass window installed (yes I was puzzled as well), it was mostly rust free with the exception of the drivers floor pan. I easily talked him down to $1200 and towed her home on a dolly in the rain at night in really bad traffic. This long and dangerous trip gave me lots of time to think about my recent purchases. I was not happy with having just another run of the mill 5.0, the SVO was bugging the crap out of me, I wanted it bad! Then the idea came to me! I have a perfectly good frame, and a perfectly good donor car and a hell of alot of time on my hands, I will build an 85.5 SVO Convertible!

Now for the research, I am a very meticulous minded person and when I do something that I invest a great portion of my life into, I do it right. So before I even touch either car I need to figure out how much I need to use from each. I knew I wanted it to be body and soul as much 85.5 SVO as possible. I sought to learn what makes it so different from the other Fox Stangs, and was quite surprised that they are in fact very different machines! I obtained all the factory manuals for the SVO, and scoured the web for others who hade done the same thing, I only found 3 people who had and they did not document the process (so here I am).

The parts I am using from the SVO:
    Exterior: fenders,headlamps, tail lamps, cowl cover, hood, emblems, spats, door handles, front and rear bumpers, ground effects, side trim and wheels.

Interior: complete dash, PE ECU, front seats, seatbelts, steering wheel, steering column, inner door panels, new carpet (trimmed to fit), pedals, shifter, center console, parking brake handle, HVAC system, wire harnesses and even the little ford logo on the lower door sills.

Under the hood: everything!

Frame and suspension: K Member, brakes, control arms, sway bar, Koni's, tranny, brake lines, rear end, exhaust, fuel lines. Im even taking the old VIN plate and mounting it somewhere so people will know what car I had.

Parts I am using from the vert:

It had the aluminum driveshaft from the AWD AeroStar, Frame, top, top electronics and most of the rear wire harness, rear seats which I am recovering with SVO materiel, seatbelt guides, rear interior panels for the speakers, high torque mini starter.

My next task was to completely strip away everything that indicates it was a GT, so I start pulling off body panels and trim, dash, interior, so it is now completely gutted.

To do this right, I want it to be the same color as the SVO, Dark Grey Metallic. I will need to strip the red down to bare metal completely. I want this to look like it was always intended to be an 85.5, so everything must come out! Doors, gaskets, top, trunk, not a speck of red will be left on this frame! This is where I am now, I will post more as I do more weekly!
    Yep, I'm the guy doing a complete frame swap on my 85.5 to a vert.

Nice project - and lots of commitment!

Thanks for sharing the process.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

-Eric
    85 Sunburned 1C
    93 LX 2.3 DD
    92 Harley Fat Boy

Oops, fixed the photos, sorry.
    On top of the body work on the Vert chassis, I also did quite a bit of work on the SVO to get it running. Considering it was in a field for over 2 years and from what I was told last run over 4 years ago, I had some serious doubts about the running condition of it, the starter wouldn't work so I never got to see it run before I bought it. There was a wiring mess and I at first thought the fault lay in an antique security system that was installed by a hack. So I began the task of removing it, repairing the cuts and splices and figuring out where everything went. I also found the fuel pump relay was missing so I took one from the vert. Still no start, removed the starter and tested it, it tested bad, so I put in the mini torque from the vert, no start. I bypassed the ignition switch, setting it to run and used my remote start switch on the relay and to my surprise it fired up without delay, almost like it had been driven just the previous day!
    You wouldn't have believed how happy I was! So why was it not starting with the switch?? Pulled out some detailed schematics I found online (here you go if you want them http://www.mediafire.com/?mvws4zcu4cc8sfe) I traced the problem to the neutral start circuit, I was missing the harness entirely! So I jumpered the pins and VROOM!! Now I just need to figure out what to do about the reverse lamp switch, the harnesses I found at the junkyard are all newer and don't match the large 4 pin connector on the tranny, I guess I could re pin the old style connector with a newer one, that will be the cheapest option. Also while I was tracing my starting problem I found the fan control circuit unit under the dash was badly scorched so I grabbed one from a 4cyl lx and repinned it to the new connector.
    Last edited by Jay4hand; 05-26-2012 at 05:47 AM.

Hmm, I may be incorrect on the color, I know originally it had 1B Medium Charcoal Metallic, but it has been repainted (badly) I thought it looked like a 1D Dark Grey Metallic, what does the pic look like to you? I want to go with whatever the original color was, but I really like what is on it now...

Animated Italian Gigolo blueboss's Avatar
    There was a red SVO convertible on ebay a couple of weeks back. Really liked the way it looked and it was done well. I've always liked projects like this. The "what if Ford did this" type of projects.
    "Some trannys can operate both types of gearboxes but manual gearboxes with clutch pedals are more difficult to operate with heels on."

one difficult feet to overcome will be the ebrake lever. the early foxes have a differnt setup and is actually located differently then the 86 and below cars . i am looking forward to see you complete this project cause as you stated , there arent very many of them that ive seen or heard of , good luck with this extensive project, keep us posted
    IF YOU NEED ANY ADVICE ON AUTO GLASS, JUST ASK
    85 TTOP SVO
    AKA 85TTOPS
    SYMPATHY, IS SOMEWHERE IN THE DICTIONARY AND YOU WOUNT GET IT FROM ME

Jay4hand, whats up with the link you posted in post #4? Comes up with some issues trying to claim my computer has a virus. If the link is unsafe we will need to remove it.
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

Since the vert is an 89 it should already have the factory "sub-frame connectors" that are riveted along the pinch weld on the bottom of the rockers. While these are sorta OK I would highly recommend adding some really good aftermarket sub-frame connectors. I've seen a ladder type that not only picks up the seat mounting points but also attaches along inside the rockers. If you plan on doing any spirited driving this should be at the top of your list.

I have an 85 GT vert that literally flops around over big bumps. It has been sitting for quite a while but I can remember it feeling like it was going to break in half quite a few times. I also parted out a theft recovery 89 LX vert a few years ago. I still have some trim and bits and pieces laying around the garage. If you find anything you need send me a PM.

COOL!!!!
    Enough of that, it was giving me a headache.

Quote Originally Posted by Meotchh View Post
    Jay4hand, whats up with the link you posted in post #4? Comes up with some issues trying to claim my computer has a virus. If the link is unsafe we will need to remove it.
    I don't really know what you are talking about, but I'll try to help you through it. I zipped 2 PDF files into a .zip archive, the file can be opened with WinRar and maybe WinZip (I don't use WinZip)

just click the green bar like in the screenshot and you should have no problems. As far as viruses go, you got me there. I scan my pc regularly and tried downloading it from my other pc with no issues. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Jay4hand; 05-26-2012 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken P. View Post
    Since the vert is an 89 it should already have the factory "sub-frame connectors" that are riveted along the pinch weld on the bottom of the rockers. While these are sorta OK I would highly recommend adding some really good aftermarket sub-frame connectors. I've seen a ladder type that not only picks up the seat mounting points but also attaches along inside the rockers. If you plan on doing any spirited driving this should be at the top of your list.

I have an 85 GT vert that literally flops around over big bumps. It has been sitting for quite a while but I can remember it feeling like it was going to break in half quite a few times. I also parted out a theft recovery 89 LX vert a few years ago. I still have some trim and bits and pieces laying around the garage. If you find anything you need send me a PM.
    PO had already welded in subframe connectors. It looks like the guy who owned it before the guy I bought it from did actually put some decent work into it, long tube headers, MSD ignition system, aluminum drive shaft, 70mm throttle body, and I am pretty certain he had some cam work done, those parts are going to my Bro for his LX Vert. I am debating using the 8" rear end, I know it had an aluminum cover with drain and fill plugs on it and an adjustable stopper, I have not taken it apart yet to see what gears are in it. As I stated before I will be using the High Torque Mini starter he had, I will likely use the fuel tank from the 89 as well.

Also, what problem will I have with the E Brake? I have not gone there yet, and is there a solution, or do I need to break out the Plasma Cutter?

Quote Originally Posted by GLASSMAN View Post
    one difficult feet to overcome will be the ebrake lever. the early foxes have a differnt setup and is actually located differently then the 86 and below cars . i am looking forward to see you complete this project cause as you stated , there arent very many of them that ive seen or heard of , good luck with this extensive project, keep us posted
    sorry need to edit this. but couldnt, musta been early in the morn.

the 87 and up ebrake is different then the early foxes. it locates differently
    IF YOU NEED ANY ADVICE ON AUTO GLASS, JUST ASK
    85 TTOP SVO
    AKA 85TTOPS
    SYMPATHY, IS SOMEWHERE IN THE DICTIONARY AND YOU WOUNT GET IT FROM ME

Quote Originally Posted by Jay4hand View Post
    I don't really know what you are talking about, but I'll try to help you through it. I zipped 2 PDF files into a .zip archive, the file can be opened with WinRar and maybe WinZip (I don't use WinZip)

just click the green bar like in the screenshot and you should have no problems. As far as viruses go, you got me there. I scan my pc regularly and tried downloading it from my other pc with no issues. Hope this helps.
    It appears to be working now. Had several strange pop ups last time I clicked on it. Moving along now, these are not the droids you are looking for...
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

Most of this week has been spent continuing to gut the vert body for paint prep. I decided to have the doors completely painted to rid myself of my least favorite color (red) so in order to do that I needed to remove the window regulators. This was a complete pain in the rear! Working at the Honda dealership, I was not expecting a car to have so many components held together with rivets, but after removing the regulator, I can see that these things were made to last forever! They will get fresh lube before they go back in, along with new dew wipes and rubber. Since I am planning to use the aluminum driveshaft currently on the vert I decided to look at what else may be lurking underneath, For some reason the PO mounted the exhaust hangers over the trans brace and the clamps coming out of the H-pipe were rubbing against the driveshaft, I will need to have it balanced for sure. A retaining nut was missing from the right diff brace and the bolt had walked a deep gouge into it, so I will need to do some additional welding.
    On a positive note, I found a complete vert parts car at my favorite junkyard that even included a headliner! It has the red interior and I need the rear panels, so I will be searching for a really nice color match paint to get it that charcoal color to go with the rest.
    This week I will be moving both cars to a more permanent location where I will be pulling the motor out of the SVO in order to change all the rings and gaskets and other reconditioning. Any suggestions on what I should do to the motor while its out?

Building Boost
    You may as well keep the 8.8 in the car if you can swing it. The axles and brakes from the SVO are a direct swap into the 8.8. If your budget does not allow the cost of gears the SVO rear will work just fine. Mine has held up extremely well.

Building Boost
    Most of this week has been spent continuing to gut the vert body for paint prep. I decided to have the doors completely painted to rid myself of my least favorite color (red) so in order to do that I needed to remove the window regulators. This was a complete pain in the rear! Working at the Honda dealership, I was not expecting a car to have so many components held together with rivets, but after removing the regulator, I can see that these things were made to last forever! They will get fresh lube before they go back in, along with new dew wipes and rubber. Since I am planning to use the aluminum driveshaft currently on the vert I decided to look at what else may be lurking underneath, For some reason the PO mounted the exhaust hangers over the trans brace and the clamps coming out of the H-pipe were rubbing against the driveshaft, I will need to have it balanced for sure. A retaining nut was missing from the right diff brace and the bolt had walked a deep gouge into it, so I will need to do some additional welding.
    On a positive note, I found a complete vert parts car at my favorite junkyard that even included a headliner! It has the red interior and I need the rear panels, so I will be searching for a really nice color match paint to get it that charcoal color to go with the rest.
    This week I will be moving both cars to a more permanent location where I will be pulling the motor out of the SVO in order to change all the rings and gaskets and other reconditioning. Any suggestions on what I should do to the motor while its out?
    While it is out you can do a home port of everything, head, intake, get an E6 manifold and port it too. Sounds like a lot of work, but it will pay off. If your up to it you can swap in a 60mm tbody too along with the SN95 sensors. Helped my driveability alot.

Quote Originally Posted by 86svo9l View Post
    While it is out you can do a home port of everything, head, intake, get an E6 manifold and port it too. Sounds like a lot of work, but it will pay off. If your up to it you can swap in a 60mm tbody too along with the SN95 sensors. Helped my driveability alot.
    You got a link to these upgrades?

Building Boost
    You got a link to these upgrades?
    Heres a link to the tbody upgrade I did.
    http://www.svocop.com/forum/showthre...=4346#post4346
    the rest is up to you, grab a die grinder and go to town, lol. The E6 turbo manifold can be found on 87-88 turbocoupes and are all over ebay. They flow much better and are less crack prone.

Busy week! First I had to relocate both cars, not an easy task when you are in the middle of a project especially since my budget only allowed me to rent a tow dolly, which I am now an expert in operating. First about tow dolly's, they suck! First, you cannot go in reverse in these things period. Try and you will know pain. Second, you need to disconnect your driveshaft after you get the car secured and before you get it off the dolly. Third, you need to remove the front bumper or you will ruin it.

You may be interested in the rig I put together to get the Flintstone Mobile in a drive-able state:

Today I continued to tear down the vert. I removed the top, window trim, doors, HVAC, wire harnesses, and firewall padding. I then scraped the sound deadener material and vacuumed.

Tomorrow I start removing the engine compartment and fuel tank.