Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building my 85.5 SVO 'vert, updated weekly!

Building Boost
    Looks like your keeping good progress.
    86 SVO 9L - 14.5@98 when stock (Sold)

I like seeing how much progress you have made (in a short time) and that you have thought it through !

These are the guys to point you to what to do -better WHAT NOT TO DO! For example - that latter front bumper is lighter - BUT you don't want to handle it without gloves !

I guess you are going to use the SVO front K member -so you can retain the SVO suspension. Consider having it welded in FULL SEAMS rather than the every 4 inch's from the factory. Keep you rack matched to your steering pump. (Probably the same anyway) If you mount the battery in the trunk invest in bulk head isolators - don't use grommets for the Positive cable pass through.

It looks like you are putting sweat equity into your project - that way you will know your car and not get buried in it and loose interest/money. On a build like this - I would almost forego the outside finish until you have fitted, driven and fully sorted it.

Mark
    P.S. You can start counting how many times the wheels go on and off for all the work.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSVOTrust View Post
    I like seeing how much progress you have made (in a short time) and that you have thought it through !

These are the guys to point you to what to do -better WHAT NOT TO DO! For example - that latter front bumper is lighter - BUT you don't want to handle it without gloves !

I guess you are going to use the SVO front K member -so you can retain the SVO suspension. Consider having it welded in FULL SEAMS rather than the every 4 inch's from the factory. Keep you rack matched to your steering pump. (Probably the same anyway) If you mount the battery in the trunk invest in bulk head isolators - don't use grommets for the Positive cable pass through.
    Yes, I am swapping everything that will fit from the SVO, which is running fine currently. Could you expand on the welding suggestion you made and what about handling the front bumper?
    Yep, I'm the guy doing a complete frame swap on my 85.5 to a vert.

What's that tapping sound?? Chalky's Avatar
    Welding the K-member seams will greatly reduce any flexing in the k-member. As for the front bumper, you convertible probably has the fiberglass bumper, they are a weight saving over the stock steel bumper on the SVO and can be used on an SVO, you will need longer bolts and a 1/2" spacer between the 'glass bumper and the stock SVO bumper shocks, but wear gloves when handling it as those fiberglass slivers hurt!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chalky View Post
    but wear gloves when handling it as those fiberglass slivers hurt!!!!!
    handling that bumper hurt in more then 1 way, it was fun fitting it though, damn those were the days. i miss those times brother
    IF YOU NEED ANY ADVICE ON AUTO GLASS, JUST ASK
    85 TTOP SVO
    AKA 85TTOPS
    SYMPATHY, IS SOMEWHERE IN THE DICTIONARY AND YOU WOUNT GET IT FROM ME

Quote Originally Posted by GLASSMAN View Post
    handling that bumper hurt in more then 1 way, it was fun fitting it though, damn those were the days. i miss those times brother
    Me too!!! No worries, I plan on "getting the band back together" when the times comes to re-assemble the t-top car.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay4hand View Post
    You got a link to these upgrades?
    Jay, do some searching on TurboFord (I approved your reg yesterday) there is a lot of info and pics to help you with the porting.
    Also, see my post in your welcome thread, try to track down Troy for this very swap.
    Paul
    86 SVOs = 2A - Drag & 2R - Driver & 1C - Rusty
    84 GT Turbos = 'verts & hatch

Looks great! Keep up the good work...

So, I was getting some needed odds and ends from the junk yard yesterday, they have about 10 fox bodies and 4 verts from 1983 to 1993 all lined up together. I noticed something which had not occurred to me that will set me back about $160, but a detail I can no longer allow myself to overlook! The doors, specifically the side mirrors are much different on the 89, but the 83 vert has the same mirrors as the SVO, I will be getting those doors now, just need to adjust my budget. The details are going to kill me, but I will not be satisfied with less!

Got the motor and tranny pulled today! Nice to see that ugly 302 gone!

Pulled the rear end out too and the 8.8 posi has 3:55 gears in it, how do you think it will do with the SVO transmission? Please comment.

My 84 has an 85-86 transmission and an 8.8 with 3:55's and I love it!!! 75mph at 2400rpm rocks and provides great gas mileage!!!

How is the acceleration?

I had the 3.55 8.8 gearset in my red car for decades with the 3.51 gearbox. Ran fine. The speedo was a few percent high though.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Cool project. Looking forward to seeing this car come together.
    My Web Site:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This Wed I start cutting and welding, should be fun, lots of pics I hope, and no burns either! Wish me luck!

BTW, I have started selling some things I will not be using, I'll post in the proper forum tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay4hand View Post
    How is the acceleration?
    Depends how close my foot is to the firewall Suffice to say, I ain't complaining!!!

You may have noticed I have not been around. I had been very enthusiastic about this project. But life has been unkind to me recently and I have found myself fighting tooth and nail for my parental rights. Long story short I will be ending this project and hope that someone will take it off my hands so I can pay my lawyer. I will be posting many pics and the VINs for both cars tomorrow. If anyone would like to talk about it, yyou may call or text me 919-395-4933

Re: Building my 85.5 SVO 'vert, updated weekly!

Sorry to hear that, hopefully someone can help you out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

This is up for sale or headed to the scrap yard if anyone is interested, VERY QUICKLY. FYI
    Officially "banned for life" from SVOCA!!

I actually looked at the car and saved a few body pieces off of it. The car is definitely roached, I mean rotted through in huge sections roached. The floors the rear quarters, the whole roof. It's missing the whole drivers side floor and cancered up the firewall. The driver side door is done as well. It does have a 85.5 motor in it that I believe is running.