Thread: EGR pipe removal

EGR pipe removal

About to install a new turbo I tried to remove the egr pipe from the exhaust manifold Ive used pb blaster also heat,
    this baby will not budge any tips or do I just cut and buy a new one?
    Thanks
    Rob,
    Objects in mirror are losing!

(aka Anonymous) Club Member Patrick's Avatar

Here's a tip from Neil who hosts the 4-eyed BBQ in WA every year.

Mix a small amount 1/2 and 1/2 concoction of ATF and acetone. Dab it on and let it soak into the threads for 10-15 minutes. You can heat it up and try removing it again. It may take several tries, but some people swear that it works better than PB Blaster.
    "Just leave me alone. I know what to do" (Kimi)

Ill give it a try, Thanks

You say you used heat. Did you heat the egr nut until it was glowing orange, then let it cool (breaking loose the rust bond when it expands/contracts)? I typically do that, then if it won't break lose, I get it orange again and try to remove it while hot the second time. Be sure the EGR is unbolted from the intake before attempting to remove it as it's common for the nut to be stuck on the tube and the whole assembly will try to rotate when that's the case. No use trying to break the nut/tube and nut/exhaust manifold bond all at once.

pat , ive heard of doing the same thing with wax, from a candle , get it really hot , and put the candle to the hot nut and let it creap in, doing it several times is a must though
    IF YOU NEED ANY ADVICE ON AUTO GLASS, JUST ASK
    85 TTOP SVO
    AKA 85TTOPS
    SYMPATHY, IS SOMEWHERE IN THE DICTIONARY AND YOU WOUNT GET IT FROM ME

I didnt heat it till it was orange im using a turbo torch Im going to try
    again soon ill see if things work out.

Turbo torch should do it.
    -Eric
    85 Sunburned 1C
    93 LX 2.3 DD
    92 Harley Fat Boy

Don't loose too much time over it - Forced 4 sells replacement tubes in 304 stainless.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Here's a tip from Neil who hosts the 4-eyed BBQ in WA every year.

Mix a small amount 1/2 and 1/2 concoction of ATF and acetone. Dab it on and let it soak into the threads for 10-15 minutes. You can heat it up and try removing it again. It may take several tries, but some people swear that it works better than PB Blaster.
    This is EXCELLENT! It will out perform PB blaster & similar store bought products time after time. Just be careful on where you use this mixture since it will eat a hole in asphalt. I generally mix it in an oil squirt can.
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

Cool

Here's my solution, it's not too difficult. After 25 years of hot/cold cycling, the nut is basically welded to the manny. If the other methods don't work, remove the manny altogether. Besides, it's much easier to remove/install a turbo when you remove the manny/turbo as one unit. Remove the tube from the EGR end, pop the valve cover for clearance and you may have to pop the 2 clips that hold the coolant lines together that are behind the block. It depends if your EGR tube runs underneath or over the top of the coolant lines. Disconnect turbo coolant/oil lines, downpipe, etc, remove the manifold bolts and lift up and out fishing the EGR tube out as you go. Once out, chuck the manifold in a vise and now you have total access. At that point, PB Blaster (heat if necessary), pipe wrench and a BFH will remove it in no time. Much easier to remove/install the turbo at the mounting flange too. I've done this a couple of times and it works great!