Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thread: Dash covers

Half Boost

Dash covers

Who has experiance with dash covers? I need one and don't want a matt type.

Half Boost
    Do you want a dash cover or a new dash pad??

Half Boost
    I have heard the dash pads that are available are junk and Pat commented that the cover worked for him so I thought about a cover but what manufacturer I have no idea?

(aka Anonymous) Club Member Patrick's Avatar

Whatever vendor you choose will have the same dash cap. I just googled "dash cap" and found a grey one for $95.99 shipped. Some places charge shipping as an oversized package. http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?Ntt=dash+cap
    "Just leave me alone. I know what to do" (Kimi)

Animated Italian Gigolo blueboss's Avatar
    For what it's worth, I have one of those dash caps on a daily driven SVO that's been there for +/- 3 years and it still looks as good as the day I installed it.
    "Some trannys can operate both types of gearboxes but manual gearboxes with clutch pedals are more difficult to operate with heels on."

I've got an aftermarket dash pad in one of my SVOs...fit is almost OK as long as you finesse it and don't compare it side by side with an original. I can take a few pictures and post them if you'd like.
    Dave

What's that tapping sound?? Chalky's Avatar
    There has been a long running thread over on Four Eyed Pride about the new dash pad from Dashes Direct. From what I gather they are much better than the previous floppy, mis-shaped repro that was available. Haven't seen one in person but they look good in the pics.

The dash I installed was a Dashes Direct dash; I'd hate to see the previous generation.

What's that tapping sound?? Chalky's Avatar
    Dave, when did you install the dash pad?? If it was in the last 6-8 months it may be the newer repro. They are only available in black.

i highly recommend the dash cover if you don't care about concours stuff.

it looks really good installed, but make sure you buy the charcoal paint to coat it with.

DD 2nd gen

I spent a lot of time on researching this and as Chalky stated there is a long thread on FEP talking about the OE vs DD 1st and 2nd gen pads. I just bought the DD 2nd gen and I would save your money. They seemed to have gone the wrong way on this. They finally got the "hump" issue engineered correctly and DD's stuff was looking like a real decent OE replacement and then the final production piece was terrible. The speaker grille holes are correct, but the molding around the fuzzy panels is terrible. Lots of waves and sags. Also the attachment points and fit is awful with much trimming needed to make it fit. Save your money For $200 its only a driver grade piece! Sad.
    "Any car that holds together for an entire race is too heavy". Colin Chapman

Half Boost
    Well since I started this thread things changed. On Wednesday the dash pad cracked, on Thursday the dash board right next to the radio cracked and on Friday the fuse box cover panel cracked. The pad cover seems like the least of my problems all of a sudden. Anyone repaired the dash itself?

Bruce, you're cracking up. No seriously was there some force involved? Those dash pieces are pretty tough. I cracked my dash, but it was while installing an aftermarket radio years ago. Repaired it with abs cement, sanding and bondo/glaze. Once smooth, repainted the whole dash hull. Looks OK and can't even tell.
    "Any car that holds together for an entire race is too heavy". Colin Chapman

Half Boost
    Well I guess I crack my car up at any rate. Yea I was installing a radio when I noticed it but I already had a hole the right size from a previous owner. All I was doing was slipping it in. It was a 95' and sunny with the windows up at work kind of day. I have heard about a vinal repair product with texture anyone try that stuff on the actual dash?

I have an assortment of epoxy used to build model airplanes - depends on how much strength and cure time one needs. Add some strips of carbon fiber matting and glue them back together. Use some plastic baggies and assorted clamping devices to keep the patch small and smooth. Then sand and paint. As long as the repairs aren't on the exposed outer surfaces, you're good to go.

I can post some pics of repairs I've made over the weekend. You may need to remind me.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

I just installed a DD pad in an 85 GT. The install was easy, but they don't come with the mounting clips. I haven't had it out in the sun yet, but the fit was pretty good. This was a new-build part when I bought it (June). It seems to have a metal backing as part of the molding stack-up which should help with the waviness that others have reported. It is slightly different from stock, but it certainly looks better than the destroyed one that was in the car.

DZ
    No good deed goes unpunished!
    1985.5 SVO 1B