Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decoding door tag

Decoding door tag

Can someone please help me decode my door tag. I know this isn't exactly a part question but I'm very curious about this car.

Animated Italian Gigolo blueboss's Avatar
    VIN= ...28T6EF....You have an 84 SVO that *should* be a quad shock car
    2A=Medium Canyon Red
    LA=Can't remember if LA is cloth or leather.....
    42=Cleveland DSO?

61B under "Body" means 3 door hatchback
    The "4" under the "R" means AM/FM radio?
    The "R" under the "AX" is your axle code. 3.45:1 Locking Differental if I remember correctly.
    And the "2HHMM" is your coil spring package
    "Some trannys can operate both types of gearboxes but manual gearboxes with clutch pedals are more difficult to operate with heels on."

Seems right. Mine is a slapper bar car though. Cloth interior and AM/FM radio are in car and it is medium canyon also. Does it ID on the door plate if the car had AC or would i find that on the buck tag? This seems to be the only option on this car. I'm assuming it's not a comp prep due to the AC on the car, but I'm thinking there were no true comp preps in '84, just option delete.

What's that tapping sound?? Chalky's Avatar
    I don't have my book with me but there is an A/C code on the door tag. There were Comp Preps (option 41C) built in 84, I believe from what Kendal told me there were 26 built. Bear in mind that some cars had A/C added at the dealership and there is a difference in the firewall between factory A/C and non-A/C cars. When was your car built??

The only way to truly verify is to get a report from Marti Autoworks as he has a ll the production info for Mustangs.

There is nothing on the door tag about the AC, that's why I was asking. I can't decipher the buck tag either, does it have more information. When you are talking about option 41c, is that found on the build sheet? I plan to get a marti report for the car later after I get it back up and running. I do appreciate the replies and will keep looking for the build sheet. I'm assuming there's only one usually found in the car and not multiples.

(aka Anonymous) Club Member Patrick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrzw70 View Post
    ... will keep looking for the build sheet. I'm assuming there's only one usually found in the car and not multiples.
    Au contraire. Some cars have have had several found in them.
    "Just leave me alone. I know what to do" (Kimi)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Au contraire. Some cars have have had several found in them.
    That's actually good news, I'm going to keep looking. I work in the Toyota plant here and I knew we left the build sheets in the car.

Noob
    FYI I had a Marti report done a few mo ago and he didn't seperate my car among just SVO's but all 85's. Was a little disappointing but still has some good info on there the Ford verification doesn't have. Also it allows you to get the orginally factory-to-dealer invoice which he had of mine (priceless) and reproduction window sticker which came out amazing. Still worth the $ for the report.

Animated Italian Gigolo blueboss's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrzw70 View Post
    ...I can't decipher the buck tag either, does it have more information.
    Yes. The buck tag will have more information. Post up a pic and I can help with that one too. Otherwise, there's a bunch of info on buck tag decoding in the interwebs.
    "Some trannys can operate both types of gearboxes but manual gearboxes with clutch pedals are more difficult to operate with heels on."

Buck tag...

My red car radiator tag - going through an unpainting process. Most of the markings and values are self-explanatory.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

AC on the buck tag stands for Air. The lowest vin for a comp prep has been 17xxx. In early 84 a svo could be ordered with any combination of options.

Yeah I didn't really think it was a comp prep, you never know though. As soon as I get all the other things I need to get it back running and roadworthy I'm going to get a marti report done.
    So all the comp preps should be quad shock cars, if that's the case with build numbers.

Yes all comp preps have quad shocks. You can see a copy of my marti report on the thread about my race car.

The Marti Reports are good. I just had one done on my '88 LX conv. But the statistics were not very good as far as how many were made just like it. When I asked for better statistics they said "that was research" and would cost more. But the report is still good and they sent it to me right away. The original sale date and place of purchase matched when and where I bought the car. The door sticker picture they sent matched my original door sticker but the original sticker has some extra codes on it. All the options on the report matched my original window sticker. So its good data and their service is pretty good.

A company called The Third Generation News and Beyond used to have rights to that Ford database. But they don't do reports any longer. We have a report for our SVO from them that was done years ago before we bought it. That report tells how many were built just like it. I met a guy at a car show with an '86 LX 5.0 notch and he had a report from them and it told him only 50 cars were made just like his. So why is it a problem for Marti Reports to get that info I don't know.
    My Web Site:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I still haven't pulled all the interior oh of the car but have not found a build sheet. I pulled the rear seat cushion and no joy, I did see a strange plastic bag filled with what looks to be white insulation of some sort. I also found another of these bags under the passenger side carpet. I'm pretty sure this car has been repainted at one point, at least on the outside. No paper work yet but also no rust under there, so at least there is some good news. After I get the engine back in and and the body mostly done I may pull more of the interior to try to find a build sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by MustangRacer18 View Post
    FYI I had a Marti report done a few mo ago and he didn't seperate my car among just SVO's but all 85's. Was a little disappointing but still has some good info on there the Ford verification doesn't have. Also it allows you to get the orginally factory-to-dealer invoice which he had of mine (priceless) and reproduction window sticker which came out amazing. Still worth the $ for the report.
    I have Kevin doing a window sticker for me because the dealer tossed mine. I told Framingham Ford when I bought the car that I wanted two things. Save the window sticker and don't put a stupid dealer sticker on my car. They didn't do either. Unfortunately I had ordered an Eminger invoice and Kevin didn't have that one! Damm!

That white stuff is insulation from the exhaust. There is also one on the pass side front seat too by the trans tunnel in addition to the two in the back
    "Any car that holds together for an entire race is too heavy". Colin Chapman

Building Boost
    mrzw70: It appears this SVO is an "option delete". It was ordered with AC and the mid-level radio, and without power windows or power locks.

VIN

1FA = Ford vehicle manufactured in USA
    B = active belts
    P = passenger car
    28 = Mustang hatchback
    T = EFI turbocharged 2.3L engine
    6 = VIN check digit
    E = 1984 model year
    F = Dearborn Assembly Plant (DAP)
    143351 = 43,351st 1984 Mustang scheduled for production at DAP

Door Tag
    Date - 12/83 = december 1983 build
    F1650* = 1650 lbs front accessory reserve load
    R1355* = 1355 lbs rear accessory reserve load
    Exterior Paint Colors - 2A = Medium Canyon Red Metallic
    DSO - 42 = Cleveland district sales office
    Body - 61B = Mustang hatchback
    Int Trim - LA = SVO cloth Articulated Sport seating (L), Charcoal/Grey interior color (A)
    R - 4 = AM/FM stereo radio
    S - [blank] = no sunroof
    Ax - R = 3.45:1 axle ratio w/ Traction-Lok differential
    Tr - 2 = T-5 transmission
    HH = front springs
    MM = rear springs

* Numbers are a factory error. They should not be that high.

Buck Tag
    MUSTANG = Mustang model line
    143351 = 43,351st 1984 Mustang scheduled for production at DAP
    61B = Mustang hatchback
    T = EFI turbocharged 2.3L engine
    [blank] = no sunroof
    0055 = body & paint rotations #0055
    2A = Medium Canyon Red Metallic exterior
    DF
    ST
    AC = air conditioner
    12 = hatchback w/ heated backlite glass and dual spoiler
    HB = heated backlite (defrost)
    SVO = SVO model/series/trim level
    RM = rocker molding
    [blank] = no power side windows (W) or power door locks (D)
    MBW = manual borg Warner transmission (T-5)
    05 = hood w/ function scoop
    -A = Charcoal/Grey interior
    EI = electronic fuel injection

Thanks very much foxchassis, that is a lot of great information. I plan on getting a marti report in the future after the car is back on the road and maybe after paint too, so it might be a while. Where there differen spring rates available for the svo's? I have seen other door tags that showed different letters where mine show (hh-mm). I can wait to get this thing running again, it's been blow apart in my garage for a while now. I really am thankful for this sight as well as turbo-ford as both have given me great info and led in the right direction. Many thanks to those that have helped me so far (both guys named Mark) and thanks to those in advance that may help in the future.
    Mitchel.

Building Boost
    These are the spring codes I have in the database that I've been building over the past couple of years...

1984 SVO spring codes: JJLL, JJMM, HHMM
    1985 SVO spring codes: HHMM
    1985½ SVO spring codes: HHNN
    1986 SVO spring codes: HHRR

1984 SVO Comp Prep spring codes: HHMM
    1985 SVO Comp Prep spring codes: GGMM
    1985½ SVO Comp Prep spring codes: (haven't seen any yet)
    1986 SVO Comp Prep spring codes: GGRR