Thread: The Great A/C Conundrum!?!?!?!?!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    What's that tapping sound?? Chalky's Avatar

The Great A/C Conundrum!?!?!?!?!

Not sure where to put HVAC topics but you feel it IN the car so this will do.

Anyways, looking at rebuilding my A/C system and looking at various options. It's for a nice driver/ show car so it has to look reasonable, be very functional and hopefully use R-134a and be easily serviceable. I also want to retain the v-belt drive.

1. Go Original: I already have an NOS condenser and two of the lines. I would need to aquire the compressor and clutch ( about $375) as well as the ultra rare suction hose that goes from the accumulator to the compressor. I'd probably have to have it made. Original style accumulators aren't available so I have a quote request in with Classic Auto Air to rebuild one of mine. On the plus side, I have most of it and it's plug and play The only downside to this is I don't think I want to use expensive NOS parts on a driver. Also, I don't think the HR-980 is compatible with R-134a and as memory serves, they aren't very efficient.

2. Hose Wizard kit: This seems like a good option and for the price, LRS has it for $779, seems like a winner. Seems like people love it or hate and I've only ever seen it installed on 2 SVO. Greg's had the serpentine system, which i think looks really cluttered, and Mike has the v-belt system and said the compressor bracket, as delivered, was crap. My only other reservation is that the installs I've seen looked a bit thrown together as if the system wasn't designed for an SVO but was made to fit.

3. Build my Own: In the course of doing all this research I have discovered a few things. What's still available, what isn't and what fits what. Seems I can buy a Sanden SD 709 compressor for $185. The condenser (stock SVO) is $115 and an accumulator (stock SVO) can be had for $40 but it's quite different to the original and a rebuilt original might be a better option. That leaves me $440 dollars to get hoses made and a quick call to the local Mac's Radiator store I got a rough quote of $550 to make the hoses, evac the system and charge it up. I've also discovered some cool sources where I can buy hoses and fitting in order to make my own. The advantage to this is I could make them as per original. I'd also have to make my own compressor bracket but I'm pretty handy with a welder and the motor will be on a stand so that's pretty easy. Although it's a lot more work and may not save me any money, i think it fits all the criteria. Stock(ish) look, R-134a, v-belt drive.

Gentlemen, the floor is open. Please share your thoughts, experiences and suggestions.

(aka Anonymous) Club Member Patrick's Avatar

One thing I believe that you need to keep in mind:

On Greg's Hose Wizard installation, one of the hoses that mounted to the compressor was installed (due to the design of the hose and hose end) in a manner that normal engine movement would try to loosen the fitting. It loosened up on Greg one time. A90* adapter or different type hose end might fix that problem.

Sanden has many versions of that compressor. Their online catalog has very specific dimensions on each one. I have several samples in the garage.
    "Just leave me alone. I know what to do" (Kimi)

^
    Samples of Sanden's catalog? or their compressors?
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

(aka Anonymous) Club Member Patrick's Avatar

Compressors with different diameter vee belt pulleys.

Another thing to keep in mind is that certain types of freons are getting much more expensive this year because the government mandated a 50% production cutback this year as they get phased out.
    "Just leave me alone. I know what to do" (Kimi)

I have two cars ( 1 SVO, 1 Turbo GT) that need the air put back on. I bought two HR 980s new in the Ford boxes for $215 shipped (Ebay), this does not include the clutches, but I have several used ones and have been able to sort of build what I needed in the past from used parts.

I don't know how efficient the HR 980 is but I have used it with R134 several times with no complaints.

I have bought aftermarket accumulators with the barbed fittings. Once I cut the original hose and used hose clamps (no leak worked ok, looked bad) and once I cut the old hose and had it recrimped on to the new accumulator ( worked well, looked good).

So at any rate I plan on using original or as close as possible on mine.

I do need one of the mounting plates/brackets for the HR 980 compressor if you happen to have one that you are not going to use I would buy it from you.

Good luck, let us know how it all works out.

I used an old HR 980 compressor from a TCoupe motor with R134 conversion, works good for me, so far (on 2nd yr). I did replace all the gaskets and o-rings with the proper ones. However I did nothing to the compressor. New line with orffice tube, new condensor, new accumulator. Mine is a serpentine belt set up. A buddy Vac and charged the system, Bam cold air...

My understanding is that HW is no more. The proprietor has passed away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Enough of that, it was giving me a headache.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Holmes View Post
    My understanding is that HW is no more. The proprietor has passed away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh damn. Just recently too.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/nam...view=guestbook
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

I met Glenn last year when I went to pick up my A/C. We talked about alot of things. He was a super nice guy and a very good mechanic. While I was there many people young and old were coming in with things from cars to tractor parts for him to repair or just to say hello. In Nam he was exposed to agent orange. A Good man I'm glad I had the opportunity to meet and talk with him. R.I.P. Glenn
    Your Best Bet, Hire a Vet!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Well this definitely sucks to lose another supporter.

Under Pressure, is there any part numbers on the compressor or anything that will help us backwards engineer these kits?

I met Glenn at the Burmingham Event in 2006. Nice fellow, helpful.

The compressors used most often are a 6-cylinder Sanyo (IIRC) - I have numbers on mine at home somewhere. The issue is all the bracketry and, depending which assortment of mounting brackets, the resulting hose configurations. The typical hose connection, -10 to -14-size fittings, go on the rear of the compressor which is very near where the turbocharger compressor inlet/hose live. Then up and over the shock tower, away from the turbo heat, to the dryer on the firewall. Tyhe Receiver/dryer and condensor are standard FOX parts.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite