Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Great A/C Conundrum!?!?!?!?!

Thanks for the info. Both my 2.3Ts have the Turbo Coupe serpentine setups already along with 3G alternators. The only bracket I'd have to fab would be to hold the compressor.

From my searching, the Sanden is replaced by 4664 now? Does it come with a V-belt pulley/clutch that I would have to change to serpentine pulley?

Unless it's feasible to get the HR980 compressors functional? I read anecdotal data on how well the HR980 works with 134a.

The problem is not that if they work but for how long. The deal is the HR980 wasn't ment for those pressures and its not rebuildable.

Worked with a local A/C parts supplier place here in Phoenix area on Saturday. They rebuilt the rubber sections of hose while I waited, got me a new drier/accumulator, replaceable orifice tube, new o-rings and spring locks.

Did lots of cleaning on Saturday evening, blowing compressed air with a little isopropyl alcohol through the condenser and evaporator, gently cleaned all connections and put on the new o-rings.

Sunday, I put a film of mineral oil on the connections and closed everything up. Ran the vacuum pump for about an hour

Filled with R12, my infrared thermometer shows 38°F in the center vent with A/C on max and the car idling in my 105°F garage. Low side pressure is about 50 psi and high side pressure is about 250 psi. I'll drive it around for a few days to see how it does with more engine rpm and air flow over the finny thing behind the Stinger intercooler.

This is my '84 Capri Turbo RS with serpentine belts/brackets from a '87-'88 Turbo Coupe, 3G alternator, HR980 compressor, and SPAL 11" fan w/ DCC fan contoller. I still need to add a wire to the DCC to get the fan spinning as soon as the A/C is switched on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mike was there a part number on the accumulator/drier?

The receipt says APS AD1345. The orifice tube shows as Santech MT0670.

Tonight, I added the second SPAL 11" fan I already had. Tomorrow after work, I'll get 12V to the DCC so there's some air flow even if the engine coolant temp isn't very high yet. Without the fan running, the high pressure side spikes over 450 psi and starts to slip the belt. Even moderate air flow drops that pressure below 300 psi.

DCC fan controller?
    Solid state or relay?
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

DCC FK-35 fan controller is all solid state using pulse width modulation, no mechanical switches.

Been driving the car to work for the past week here in Phoenix area. It blows cold air almost immediately on start up. However, the old '80s HVAC capacity is marginal compared to newer vehicles so it takes several minutes of driving before it really cools the interior down. On my drive home from work around 3 o'clock, the thermometer I have clipped to the vent shows 45°F after about 10-15 minutes of driving.

Following!

I have felt the urge to re-install an A/C unit in my 86. I kept all the brackets when I removed the old broken R-12 system over ten years ago. But, when I left Hawaii I threw away all the hoses, the condenser and the compressor. I think that the hose wizard set up could be reverse engineered. The tricky part is mocking up the A/C bracket. I found this on the svoca site: http://www.svoca.com/FAQ/84-86%20For...tion%20Kit.pdf
    SUBPAY
    1986 SVO
    2011 Mustang GT

Building Boost
    Couldn't you just install all of the hard parts/electrical connections and then take the car to an automotive AC shop and have them mock-up/install custom hoses so that everything fits and the hoses aren't twisted? You could even have the system charged and leak checked at the same time so you are sure everything is good to go. I will have to see what is left of the AC system when my SVO arrives, but AC is needed for me to be happy, so I am going to have to figure something out.

Quote Originally Posted by subpay View Post
    I have felt the urge to re-install an A/C unit in my 86. I kept all the brackets when I removed the old broken R-12 system over ten years ago. But, when I left Hawaii I threw away all the hoses, the condenser and the compressor. I think that the hose wizard set up could be reverse engineered. The tricky part is mocking up the A/C bracket. I found this on the svoca site: http://www.svoca.com/FAQ/84-86%20For...tion%20Kit.pdf

Your right, the compressor bracket will be the tricky part. I have part numbers for almost everything else.

Does anyone know where to get a bracket that would work or have the measurements for the hose wizard kit bracket?