Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wheel Thread: All wheel questions, answers and resources go here

Wheel Meta Thread

Wheel fitments for the SVO are fraught with issues, which generate numerous questions, answers, and experiences. It is essential to centralize the knowledge gained. So we ask you to post wheel issues only in this thread.

We will be moving ANY thread dealing with fitments of wheels for stock bodied SVOs here. Its not for pejorative reasons, its because we need to make it easier for all of us that are looking for alternatives to the stock wheels.

AMG 5 spokes on Craigslist @ blahblahblahcraigslist.com

Good question. But who cares - they're free, right?

You could always upgrade your SVO to a full AMG suspension.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Enough of that, it was giving me a headache.

No they are not free.

The bolt pattern aint quite right there, but they would look good on the Mustang.
    Last edited by Meotchh; 10-31-2011 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Testing my powers some more

They'd be great if you needed to add some weight...
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

I talked with my neighbor Franz, an AMG factory-trained mechanic, and he said that if you're handy with a dremel tool, you can make them fit. You only need a couple millimeters for each hole - no problem. He said he would do it for you for $20, a six pack of Grolsch and an 8x10 color glossy of Sharon Stone in a bikini.
    Last edited by Patrick; 07-30-2011 at 06:43 PM. Reason: test

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

"Page Not Found" good ole Craigslist...

I edited your edit to appeal me..ha ha :fi_av_smiles_y_6:

Those wheels are either a 5x112 5x130 or a 5x120 the SVO is a 5x114.3 You could drill the holes out a little, however, I would recommend keeping your car off of any street or highway for the sake of other's safety. No matter how tight the lug nuts are, if the acorn of the lugnut doesn't fit in the wheel properly they will come loose.

(aka Anonymous) Club Member Patrick's Avatar

^^^ The voice of reason!
    "Just leave me alone. I know what to do" (Kimi)

Infamous Bullit Wheel Thread

I have a set of 17"x8"x45mm Torq-Thrusts from an alleged 06' GT (P/N 6R33-1007-CA..I hate new Ford part numbering) or so I've been told. I've been getting bounced around a ton between they will fit and won't and they'll hit the strut and they won't. I've been told the 05's and down are out and 05's and up are fine. WTF???? The more I research, the more confused I get. Here is what I know/believe to be true:

A-The car has Motorsport B springs
    B-I understood the 9" Bullitts will hit, period
    C-I believe I could get away with a 235/45 or 245/45 tire, but don't want to "roll" any sheetmetal
    D-I realize the front center cap won't fit
    E-When in doubt refer to item F
    F-There may be something I missed

Can anyone here set the record straight for me on these confounded wheels? I want to be sure before I purchase new rubber for them!
    Last edited by Gyrhead; 05-27-2012 at 09:12 AM. Reason: can't spell
    "Any car that holds together for an entire race is too heavy". Colin Chapman

AFAIK the 6 at the beginning does denote the year, and 235 tires will be best. You "may" be able to shave a little on the inside of the cap to get it to fit. Or take the stock grease cap to a Tractor Supply or the like and see if you can find one that'll fit that doesn't stick out as far.
    -Eric
    85 Sunburned 1C
    93 LX 2.3 DD
    92 Harley Fat Boy

I've got the Bullitt style wheels off my 06 GT on my SVO with stock GT tires (235/55/17...too tall for an SVO) and it doesn't seem to drag on the strut and is tucked in far enough to no have issues with the fender lip. A 235/45/17 would be shorter and have less sidewall bulge so it should have even more clearance.

Just saw with my own two eyes today that the older bullit wheels '04 and older don't work on the front. Will require some machine work or complete removal of dust cap (maybe) or a 1/4" spacer to make them fit. Looked nice sitting on the hubs. '97 cobra wheels bolt right up in front and would be tire dependent as to fit and the older '01 ish mustang V-6 aluminum wheels bolt right up too. I hope this helps someone out here.

Like I said in another thread I cut 1/4" off the front axle with a cut-off wheel on an angle grinder and flattened in the dust caps.
    I also removed some of the plastic from the inside of the bullit cap with a dremel tool.
    growing OLD is mandatory - growing UP is optional

Paul - I have a set of 5zigen fn01r wheels in 17x8 -43mm with 245/40-17 tyres on my red car. The rear suspension and braking system is stock (except for KONI DA's with MM coil-overs - the rear shocks/springs are completely inside the wheel/tyre area) and the wheels clear just fine. iirc there's ~.75 inches of clearance between the tyre inside and the quad shock both. I have pics somewhere.

I SN-95'd (that's a verb, btw) the front of my car so I can't give any stock SVO fitment with a -43mm offset for you.

Noob
    These are stock 05 V-6 wheels on my old 85. I had the hubs turned down a bit to fit the wheels with no problems. Of course the center cap di dnot fit and I was to lazy to check for any that might have.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bdbys59 View Post
    These are stock 05 V-6 wheels on my old 85. I had the hubs turned down a bit to fit the wheels with no problems. Of course the center cap di dnot fit and I was to lazy to check for any that might have.
    I really like these, I might try and track some down.
    Enough of that, it was giving me a headache.

talk about wheel fitment experience

hello

it'd be great if anyone could help me with aftermarket wheel fitment -

1. would 17x8 front / 17x9 rear work ok?

or if that's too aggressive, 17x7.5 / 17x8 is an option.

i'd like to go a little wider in the back, but don't want to make too much understeer. 17x7.5" is an available size for my wheel choice (42 or 45mm offset)

2. the stock wheel size is 16x7 with 43mm offset. is that correct?

3. how many mm of clearance can be lost, inner and outer, front and rear, vs. stock wheel fitment?

thank you

Noob
    anyone know about 05-09 fr500's on stock svo suspension and springs? They are 17x9 so i am thinking that might be an issue

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by midnite855svo View Post
    anyone know about 05-09 fr500's on stock svo suspension and springs? They are 17x9 so i am thinking that might be an issue

i believe i read somewhere that 9s will hit on stock svo k/Arms.

I really would like a shopping list of junkyard parts to get to put the 94/95 hubs on. Seems every source i get is either doing it on a 5.0 or n/a 2.3 car.
    I should of stored as much information as i could from the other site...shouldnt of taken it for granted that it would get ripped away one day.

I really would like a shopping list of junkyard parts to get to put the 94/95 hubs on.
    Really depends on how detailed you want to get.

Start with whichever sn95 spindle you prefer (straight or dogbone steering arm), and if you want to keep the SVO a-arms (gets difficult to connect the larger SVO arm lower BJ to the sn95 spindle - hole is smaller). You will need 17" or larger wheels to clear the 13" rotors. And FOX struts (not SVO). You may also need a bumpsteer kit - that needs to be measured first.

The springs used will depend on which lower arms you select and the ride height you desire. And some CC plates to correct camber/caster issues (or to allow the settings you want).

And what rear brakes are you going to run? May also need a smaller master cylinder.
    Give us more info on what you want to do.

I should of stored as much information as i could from the other site...shouldnt of taken it for granted that it would get ripped away one day.
    Where do you think most of that information came from?

Some Boost
    I have no clue to be honest. I had never thought i would need a reason to replace the Svo Control arms so i never looked into it.
    Im fairly new to the Svo as i bought mine maybe ~8 months ago, and 2 of those months ive been deployed. I joined the other site and the majority of your posts where already deleted so i only caught Quotes with your name.

i did find this tidbit from Maximum Motorsports page:
    Stock SN95 front control arms can be installed on a 1984-86 SVO Mustang, along with a conventional spring in the stock location. SVO-specific springs cannot be used, as the relatively higher spring seat location of the SN95 control arm will raise the front of the car significantly; front springs (either stock or aftermarket) from a non-SVO application Mustang must be installed. Note that the 1999-2004 arms provide more tire clearance, allowing a tighter turning radius. The ball joint's pivot point will be raised by about 1/2", which will in turn lower the front roll center. The swaybar end-link mounting location on the stock control arm is further inboard, which will reduce the effective swaybar rate by about 8% (This will help reduce understeer.
    with this in mind i could go to the JY and pull everything control arm/brake related and hobble it together to get an overall nice-r package. what worries me the most is starting the project and running into an issue where a weekend project turns into a week project because of incompatibilities. (aux shaft did this to me lol). i guess what im looking for is a JY list of items to get to replace the obsolete svo suspension stuff with stock sn95 stuff.