Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Wheel Thread: All wheel questions, answers and resources go here

Perhaps a change in venue????

This is the wheel thread. I think it would be great to go through that conversion in the suspension section...
    Enough of that, it was giving me a headache.

Some Boost
    I have these long posts, then someone says something and i think, "why didnt i think about that in the first place" LoL

i wish it was always this easy.. i was thinking so hard about it and focused on this post i didnt bother the suspension thread. I found it

thanks.

Will this wheel fit?

I've been looking for tires for my '84 SVO for this winter. I've been told ONLY 225/50/16 and ONLY mustang wheels will fit. But I've also been told Bullit wheels fit too but the ones I'm looking at have a different tire on them

Here's the link ( http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/pts/3168506924.html )

Great thanks if you know if they will/won't fit
    '84 GT:375HP fun ride
    '84 SVO:stock daily ride...even winter
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Half Boost
    I believe its the 05 and up rims that have the right offset. The 04 and older won't work. It doesn't say if they are 16 or 17" wheels but I am guessing 17 so the tires won't swap to your rims either.

What's that tapping sound?? Chalky's Avatar
    You can fit a 245/45/16 on the stock rim without and problems. For wheels, '05 and up is the way to go and it's more about the hub diameter than the offset. For example, you can fit 98 Cobra wheels but the inner hub needs to be machined a bit.

Thanks

Thanks, I gave Bruce a call on this and he said it's probably easier to just go with purchasing some tires instead...if the 245 somethings work then that might be the way to go too cuz they are cheap. I have the stock rims on there I just need tires for this winter
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ok, I really want to go to 17" rims. I'm seeing takeoffs in the +40mm to +45mm range. Even saw some interesting Explorer wheels in a +38. I see that Mike purchased some wheels in a +43.

Since I still think in Imperial units, what does all that mm stuff mean to a wheel purchaser? I'd really like to get the +40mm wheels, how much hacking will I need to get the 7" wide wheel to fit?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Holmes View Post
    Ok, I really want to go to 17" rims. I'm seeing takeoffs in the +40mm to +45mm range. Even saw some interesting Explorer wheels in a +38. I see that Mike purchased some wheels in a +43.

Since I still think in Imperial units, what does all that mm stuff mean to a wheel purchaser? I'd really like to get the +40mm wheels, how much hacking will I need to get the 7" wide wheel to fit?
    http://www.svocop.com/forum/showthre...-right-Kind-of

Check out this posting, it'll help a little bit...I put a 235/45/17 on my svo w/ a +42mm offset no problem on the rear, but the rotors on the front are the thing that'll kill you for sure. I'm getting mine cut, we'll see tonight if it worked. I'm almost certain you can't go lower or higher than 40mm or 45mm. Good luck and post some pictures

Thanks a bunch.

I will post some pictures of the rotors tomorrow, I painted them. I will try to get them on tomorrow and take pictures, but I don't really know how much this will help you. (These will be posted on the other thread

Noob

96 cobras with 245/40/17 fit on stock suspension

Quote Originally Posted by midnite855svo View Post

96 cobras with 245/40/17 fit on stock suspension
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

Hmmm, didn't think those worked. How about the 10th anni Cobra wheels? I want some 17" wheels that are not Bullits.

My car is lowered at least 1.5 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Holmes View Post
    Hmmm, didn't think those worked.
    Bob,
    They do sort of work. They stick out a little. If you have stock ride height they will only scrub when you turn sharply on a slope. If your car is lowered, you will have an issue with the wheels above.
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

Some Boost
    how do yall feel about 17s-18s? i like the look of 18s on a fox..I planned to stick with 16s but they seem limited so 17s seem to be the next option. Im not even sure if the 18in Stock take offs (11-12yr) would fit offset wise. I guess i dont even know where to start when mixing and matching the control arms.

goals are..
    -lowering the car (probably sve springs)
    -Sn95 control arms/spindles/brakes.. if i cant find the ultra rare 94/95 i will end up with 96~99 v6 stuff since they litter my junkyard.

how is driving with larger than stock wheels? will my mpg (lol) suffer or would it make my tired 4 banger work harder on my short 2mi jaunts to work?

blam, found my answer for what for what
    http://www.mylrs.com/blogs/lrs/archi...ire-guide.aspx
    Last edited by brownsvo; 10-27-2012 at 08:08 AM.

Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    I've got the Bullitt style wheels off my 06 GT on my SVO with stock GT tires (235/55/17...too tall for an SVO) and it doesn't seem to drag on the strut and is tucked in far enough to no have issues with the fender lip. A 235/45/17 would be shorter and have less sidewall bulge so it should have even more clearance.
    Did the OEM Bullitt style wheels fit without issue including center cap? Are you running stock SVO spindles/rotors/brakes?

Building Boost
    17x9 wheels all around. I have 255/40/17s on the front and 265/40/17s on the back in this photo (Dunlop Star Specs). Reason I got those tires was to try to fit 265s on the front without rubbing, and they only barely graze the inner fender liner if backing up with wheel cranked all the way. I autocrossed once with this setup, then switched so I had the 265s in the front. Only rubbing I had was the back fender just a touch. Need another mm or two of offset. These are 35 offset Team Dynamics Racing wheels. I had to have the inner hub diameter turned to fit over the stock hub. I figure I will switch out the rear axle at some point and they will fit perfectly.

This is with H&R "Race" springs, poly isolators front and rear, and MM caster/camber plates. The camber helps fit the bigger tires up front, but I have room to give before I hit the strut, honestly I think about 37 or 38mm offset and they would be perfect (with 255 width tires). Yes, I took a tire iron and some tin snips to my rear fenders to "help".

J

What's that tapping sound?? Chalky's Avatar
    Looks awesome mate!!! Those wheels are killer!!

Building Boost
    I found a set of 2010 Bullit wheels on ebay, nearly new, for under $100 each. I had the spokes painted to match my 1D body. The rims were mounted with Hankook 235 45 17's. The 86 is at standard ride height. The rear fit without a problem. I used a 5/16" aluminum spacer from Jegs on the front, it also required longer 3" wheel studs also from Jegs there was no problem with the grease cap with the spacer in place. I used the stock SVO lug nuts which bottomed out on the studs, so I had to cut off the non threaded portion of the studs and the all went well. The result is awesome! The look now has some agression. I've seen torque settings in the 80-105 ft./lbs for the studs anybody know the proper torque? At any rate if you change the stud length - drive then retorque several times after short trips. The tires fit within the wheel arches just fine. Hope this helps those considering late model Bullets.

The threads are 1/2-20 so 95-105 is correct. Recheck after each track session.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite