Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thread: Battery replacement?

Building Boost

Battery replacement?

The battery in the wife's blue svo decided to crap out on me, looking for suggestions for a replacement. I can buy one at a local Ford dealership for about $130. I can also get on at a local battery store for about $90. The ford one would be a motorcraft battery but the local store one would NOT be a motorcraft.

Now, does it have to be a Motorcraft? I know that it will be points deducted at car shows but doesn't matter to me. The only thing to consider when giving suggestions is that I LIVE IN CANADA!!! So most of the "Parts Stores" don't exist here, even Sears Canada is DIFFERENT than Sears USA. What other brand names are "car show acceptable". Thanks in advance!!

Honestly, if this is a show car with all OEM parts, you should stay as close to possible as the original parts. Motorcraft is what the car came with. Too bad even the new motorcraft batteries say " Made in Mexico" on them. Unfortunately, batteries don't last forever. I have seen guys remove the old stickers and switch them to the new battery. Or even have a graphics place recreate the sticker. This would be for a serious show car where every point counts.
    86 SVO 1C BOOST addict!

I've had great luck with the Motorcraft batteries and buy them when they are available in the size I need. I've even put Motorcraft batteries in a few Hondas (Friend's car).

You might see if you can find a Motorcraft jobber; they may have the battery at a bit lower price.

Proof...

Here is proof!
    Attached Images Attached Images

For a nice day/occasional show car I would just put a Motorcraft, keeps it Ford.

Some Boost

Battery

Kirkland has some highly rated batteries but you will find these days few places have any listing for the correct size. Motorcraft always seems to last for me. As for shows, unless you are showing the car in the MCA unrestored class which is a 6 point deduction, a New Motorcraft is fine with a 1 point deduction in Concours. If going the cheap route, just get a black battery and take the labels off.

I've also had great luck with Motorcraft batteries, they lasted 8+ years in my Powerstroke , Put one in my 67 Fairlane 5 years ago. It do not use a "battery tender" over the winters when it sits, turns over every spring no problems.
    Chris
    1986 2R

(aka Anonymous) Club Member Patrick's Avatar

Do we need to think about hi rez original decal replacements for the coucours guys? Who has the best example to duplicate?
    "Just leave me alone. I know what to do" (Kimi)

Motorcraft here... battery tender as well. She sits a bunch during the winter.

Some Boost
    Yep, OEM seems to be the way to go. Murray's auto parts used to sell them here in the States, when they were still around. I don't think any of the "discount" parts stores sells OEM.

Some Boost
    I have an original battery which I install at shows. Its a pretty good example if you want to make decals. The problem is needing a white case battery to put them on.

What's that tapping sound?? Chalky's Avatar
    I'd live to see that Kevin. As for the white case, spray paint

Half Boost
    Are you saying the factory battery was white?

Kevin is an original owner of a very low mile red car. He should know what the original battery looks
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

What's that tapping sound?? Chalky's Avatar
    Should look something like this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Half Boost
    I am sure one of the battery makers have a white case like that to use. I think Interstate uses a white case, but the tops are green.
    What about a cover for the top of the battery like they make for the old Mustangs?? Just a thought.