Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thread: Cruise Control MIA

Question Cruise Control MIA

Car: 1984 Mustang TurboGT I (I know it's not an SVO but it has many SVO parts on it!) I also posted this first on TF, I know a bunch of us are on both sites.

I'm looking for the procedure to troubleshoot my cruise control on my "vert. It's completely dead, all the pieces are there but nothing works.

Go figure, it works fine in my junk '84 TurboGT hatchback but not in my nice 'vert...at least I have spare parts.

Paul
    86 SVOs = 2A - Drag & 2R - Driver & 1C - Rusty
    84 GT Turbos = 'verts & hatch

I have two 84 Turbo GTs with cruise also. If you have a factory service manual there is a pretty good troubleshooting procedure in there. it leads you step by step.

Since you have one car that it works on you might consider swapping some of the easy to get to components one at a time. I think I would start at the transducer/transmitter down at the tranny. After that the computer under the dash, after that It gets hard.

My last faliure was the transmitter/transducer, but the symptoms were that it became intermittant and got worse until it quit totally. The first time I had one fail on the other car it just quit all at once and the computer was bad on that one.

Goos luck

check the end of the cable in the trans. Mine broke the part that holds the gear on. I had to take the gear off to see the break.

Quick and easy check. Pull the steering wheel and clean the contact rings and contacts for it and the horn. My old TC had intermittant cruise and this is what it was.
    -Eric
    85 Sunburned 1C
    93 LX 2.3 DD
    92 Harley Fat Boy

What's that tapping sound?? Chalky's Avatar
    Be sure to also check all you vacuum hoses. The system requires vacuum to run so if you have a leak anywhere you will lose the cruise.