Thread: MM MMPBA Panhard Bar Question

Question MM MMPBA Panhard Bar Question

So, I don't hijack the thread about Comp Prep Spring, I started a new thread.

The suspension on my 86 was fully rebuilt at the same time the new motor was done. About the only thing I can think of that was not done was ading a panhard bar. I have a 2003 Mach 1 that I put on the road course and I know how much the handling improved when I added a panhard bar to it.

So, my question... About the only off-the-shelf panhard bar I can find is the Maximum Motorsports MMPBA. One of my SVO suspension upgrades was to add a 8.8 rear end. Does anyone know if MMPBA will work with the 8.8? I only ask because on the Maximum Motorsports website, the Torque arms specify 8.8 and the panhard bar doesn't.

I know I can always call MM, but I don't have a lot of opportunities to up my post count.
    Brian
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

What's that tapping sound?? Chalky's Avatar
    My car has an 8.8 and the MM panhard. No problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalky View Post
    My car has an 8.8 and the MM panhard. No problems.
    Perfect.. Thanks!
    Brian

Noob
    I wonder if it works on the 7.5? I have been thinking about adding one to mine as I loved how my '91 lx handled with one

I've used one on my 7.5.

Just make certain that you don't use stiff bushings on your quadra-bind suspension. Adding an additional bind point, as well as a different instant center point will cause snap oversteer if you push it too hard. Everything is great, right up until it isn't.
    Enough of that, it was giving me a headache.

Some Boost
    The thing that you need to be concerned about is that you have the right tailpipes. There are a few manufactures that will work, so check with MM.

How well would a MM panhard bar work on an otherwise stock suspension? I've had one in the garage for a few years now, and I'm hesitant to install it in case it creates more handling problems than it solves.

owned since 2003, restomod

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    How well would a MM panhard bar work on an otherwise stock suspension? I've had one in the garage for a few years now, and I'm hesitant to install it in case it creates more handling problems than it solves.
    it's worth the effort to install as long as you have the correct tailpipes. I believe you need to use the dynomax or flowmaster tailpipes which follow the stock routing. It will only improve your handling. The stock 4 link system can allow the rear axle to move as much as 2" side to side under hard cornering. The panhard bar keeps it in the correct position. it also helps put power to the pavement when exiting a corner without the ass end stepping out.

I have a Flowmaster tail pipe, but it's 3" on the driver side only. It will be a close call, and I have no idea what I'll do if it doesn't work. :-/

owned since 2003, restomod