Thread: Looking for ideas on how to build this 2.3 for my 84 svo

Building Boost

Looking for ideas on how to build this 2.3 for my 84 svo

budject 5000.00

use hp street and hopefully some begining auto cross

rear end is 3.73 8.8 inch

suspenion max grip in a box with sn 95 front spindals and 13 inch brakes

turbo i am being told to use the HX35

First off - if you're going to do SCCA Solo (auto-x), you need to determine what class the car will be built to and read up on the specific rules and changes allowed for that class.

The "build" you have listed above will probably put into a heavily mod'd class where a beginner will not be competitive in.

Stock cars are much easier to learn in.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Building Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    First off - if you're going to do SCCA Solo (auto-x), you need to determine what class the car will be built to and read up on the specific rules and changes allowed for that class.

The "build" you have listed above will probably put into a heavily mod'd class where a beginner will not be competitive in.

Stock cars are much easier to learn in.
    thank you i have not done anyting in so many years it is not even funny
    think last time i was to an auto cross was late 60's and early 1970 for scca type club racing and that was with a trump sptifire stock

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    speaking from C Prep with a holset he341, this is truth. last auto-x i was over 3 seconds behind on a 30 second course... behind a Pontiac! even with a hi stall converter, you can count the seconds wasting away after an apex when you hit WOT, but there just aint nobody home. tim is also running CP with a evergreen tweaked t4/t3 'brid and just walks all over my times as well. but that shall soon change...

swap out the stock turbo and/or camshaft and you're bumped out of stock, street touring, street prepared, street mod and right into X prepared if you're not running a restirctor plate, and C prepared if you're running a 52mm restirctor plate. know what else runs in XP? LS2 miatas. 'nuff said.

unless you wanna run tire index.. but you dont wanna run tire index. im +9 seconds vs the T/Pax guys on said 30 second course.

as for the suspension upgrades... you can get away with quite a bit in the ST/SP/SM classings, but the SN95 swap is going to put you up in street mod. i think.. someone wanna double check my understanding of section 14.8 in 2012 rules?
    "radar detectors are illegal in the Commonwealth of Virgina" "i bet cloaking devices are illegal too! good-bye!"

Building Boost
    thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    speaking from C Prep with a holset he341, this is truth. last auto-x i was over 3 seconds behind on a 30 second course... behind a Pontiac! even with a hi stall converter, you can count the seconds wasting away after an apex when you hit WOT, but there just aint nobody home. tim is also running CP with a evergreen tweaked t4/t3 'brid and just walks all over my times as well. but that shall soon change...

swap out the stock turbo and/or camshaft and you're bumped out of stock, street touring, street prepared, street mod and right into X prepared if you're not running a restirctor plate, and C prepared if you're running a 52mm restirctor plate. know what else runs in XP? LS2 miatas. 'nuff said.

unless you wanna run tire index.. but you dont wanna run tire index. im +9 seconds vs the T/Pax guys on said 30 second course.

as for the suspension upgrades... you can get away with quite a bit in the ST/SP/SM classings, but the SN95 swap is going to put you up in street mod. i think.. someone wanna double check my understanding of section 14.8 in 2012 rules?
    rickibrat2, I would shoot for ESP class. It allows modifications, subframe connectors, springs, boost controller, etc. Subframe connectors to me are overall have to for Autocross. The twisting the unibody goes through in a short amount of time is crazy, I can just imagine the front seat ripping the floor board any given time without them.

Alex, I looked at the raw times from this past Sunday (Sorry couldn't make it) they must have been purpose built cars on race tires. In CP I know my car is under built, it's still a driver on street tires. Just because I upgraded my turbo it sent me to this class. Even though you cannot tell from looking at it. Should have keep my mouth shut and stayed in ESP.
    However it was nice beating a 70's model trans am, 600hp, race gas, race tires, interior gutted with aluminum panels, roll cage, fiberglass front end, full cell replaced the passenger seat, suspension parts I cannot identify, trailered to the lot. Thank goodness he could not keep the power down. Against a lil street driven 4 cyl turbo, with full interior, street tires, spare still in the car, coupla suspension mods and a mild turbo on a stock engine... Wooped'em Josey, wooped'em good.... actually hundredths of a second.. But a wins a win... right!

Still to compete well, Im gonna have to get some wider tires under this car, shooting for 245/40/17.

Building Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by SVOTim View Post
    rickibrat2, I would shoot for ESP class. It allows modifications, subframe connectors, springs, boost controller, etc. Subframe connectors to me are overall have to for Autocross. The twisting the unibody goes through in a short amount of time is crazy, I can just imagine the front seat ripping the floor board any given time without them.

Alex, I looked at the raw times from this past Sunday (Sorry couldn't make it) they must have been purpose built cars on race tires. In CP I know my car is under built, it's still a driver on street tires. Just because I upgraded my turbo it sent me to this class. Even though you cannot tell from looking at it. Should have keep my mouth shut and stayed in ESP.
    However it was nice beating a 70's model trans am, 600hp, race gas, race tires, interior gutted with aluminum panels, roll cage, fiberglass front end, full cell replaced the passenger seat, suspension parts I cannot identify, trailered to the lot. Thank goodness he could not keep the power down. Against a lil street driven 4 cyl turbo, with full interior, street tires, spare still in the car, coupla suspension mods and a mild turbo on a stock engine... Wooped'em Josey, wooped'em good.... actually hundredths of a second.. But a wins a win... right!

Still to compete well, Im gonna have to get some wider tires under this car, shooting for 245/40/17.
    thank you
    and yes i know how much stress i can put ont ehcar just playing on back roads around here in my 1988 mustang i use to have and the differance the roll bars and sub frames connections made but it was just very nose heavy and while it was great funn to play with on the street my biggest enjoyment was kids then *********s pulling up beise me and wanting to race this rat car UGLy CAR and reach down to the center section and hitting the arm buttons and the ig green cloud shoot ouy from before the windshled then the chev creaping away with its tail betw een its legs

Quote Originally Posted by rickibrat2 View Post
    hitting the arm buttons
    ps: don't ever even think about showing up at an SCCA event with a charged NOS bottle. its _not_ a pretty sight. for serious.
    "radar detectors are illegal in the Commonwealth of Virgina" "i bet cloaking devices are illegal too! good-bye!"

Building Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    ps: don't ever even think about showing up at an SCCA event with a charged NOS bottle. its _not_ a pretty sight. for serious.

no that was in a 1988 rag top and is not gone to fix this car up

rmemeber many years doing it in a go kart in pleaston ca

remember once trying in in one of our midget cars but then we were silly kids or silly couple but really both

think the midget was when they use to do it in the parking lot of the old ford plant in Milapitas CA <sp>