Thread: Turn Signal Stalk

Building Boost

Turn Signal Stalk

All

This may sound dumb but does the turn signal stalk unscrew from the steering column (like the one in my 66 stang) in our SVOs? The reason I ask is the plastic part snapped off of mine so I figured I'd order a new or reporduced one but no one lists them for our years. I also tried gently to unscrew whats left of mine and it doesn't budge. Before I tried applying any more force I figured I'd ask.

Thanks!

Patrick used to have some replacement stalks. He should pick up the phone shortly and chime in.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

(aka Anonymous) Club Member Patrick's Avatar

The stalks come separately (not yet installed) with the turn signal assembly.

They are not threaded. They have a groove and a tang to locate them. To remove the stalk, put a slight amount of inward force on the stalk, followed by some twisting force (I forgot if clockwise or counter clockwise. I'll check later). Maintain the twisting force (that stops the detent from latching it) while pulling and it should pop out. If they are packed with years of dirt, they may not come apart.

The easiest thing to do may be to practice removing the stalks at the wrecking yard so that you don't hurt anything on your own car.
    "Just leave me alone. I know what to do" (Kimi)

Building Boost
    Pat thanks for the info I'll give it a try. The plastic on my stalk cracked and it came off the metal shaft, I may just try epoxying it.

The stalks look similar to other Ford products of that era. If I can't find any Mustangs at the wrecking yard maybe I can find a Fairmont or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    The stalks come separately (not yet installed) with the turn signal assembly.

They are not threaded. They have a groove and a tang to locate them. To remove the stalk, put a slight amount of inward force on the stalk, followed by some twisting force (I forgot if clockwise or counter clockwise. I'll check later). Maintain the twisting force (that stops the detent from latching it) while pulling and it should pop out. If they are packed with years of dirt, they may not come apart.

The easiest thing to do may be to practice removing the stalks at the wrecking yard so that you don't hurt anything on your own car.
    Pat I am trying to replace my turn signal stalk on my low mileage 84 SVO(someone must have used Armour All, letters are faded) and I am unable to remove it using the instructions above? Is a lot of twist force required to remove these? I have tried both clock directions and no success.
    Any advice would be appreciated.