Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Accidental SVO

Mike, could you show us some pics of the red car? Specifically the tire to fender clearance with the MM K member and their standard control arms? A pic of the firewall and engine clearance would be nice too. If I remember you used the 1" setback on the engine, didn't you?

More red car pics? Someting to work on over the coming weekend.

I used the standard engine mounting location. I briefly looked at using the 1" rearward holes but I'd already had my fill with scope creep - and adding that wasn't going to meet my time table.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Building Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by Meotchh View Post
    Not trying to take over your thread Chris, just responding to it. If anyone wants feedback from those vendor experiences I'll gladly respond offline. I do agree with you Chris that MM foxbody components are superior.
    Its all good.

Don't you have a picture of a fabulous header you had made? That would be a fine addition to this thread!
    "Stay boosted my friends"

Chris

Kook's Custom Header

It is a Kooks header. Aparently they aren't making it any more from what I have been told.

Mock up on spare engine.
    DSC00990.jpgturbo header down pipe mock up.jpg

External WG added to the header. It was intended to be used in a stock location with a stock sized turbo using an internal WG.
    DSC00992.jpg

As you can see we had a clearance issue...
    Image004.jpg

Clearance issue resolved tahnks to Tim at A1 Muffler in Jonseboro, GA
    DSC00819.jpg
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

Quote Originally Posted by Raven855 View Post
    Mike, could you show us some pics of the red car? Specifically the tire to fender clearance with the MM K member and their standard control arms? A pic of the firewall and engine clearance would be nice too. If I remember you used the 1" setback on the engine, didn't you?
    Here's a small assortment of the red car with the MM k-member and the zero (standard) offset front a-arms installed in various configurations. The ACT mesh wheels are an 16x8.5 with 245/45-16 (now living in Chalky's garage). The white ones are 17x8 43mm offset with 245/40-17.

If you look for it, you can clearly see that the centerline of the wheel/tire is forward in the wheel well opening.

I'll work on engine/cam cover to firewall pics later - it's the same as a stock installation though.

Img_9203.jpg
    Img_9333.jpg
    Img_9312.jpg
    Img_2326.jpg
    Img_2869.jpg
    Img_2868.jpg
    Img_2818.jpg
    Img_2333.jpg
    Img_2330.jpg
    Img_2329.jpg

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

What's that tapping sound?? Chalky's Avatar
    Actually the ACT's now live on my Calypso '93 LX coupe and look bitchin'!!!! BTW, did you have PBR calipers and the 11" rotors on with the ACT's before going to the 13" Cobra's?? What did you think of them??

I went through several stages of assembly and testing after getting the car back from paint. If you recall, it had no interior, brakes, electrical, brackets, glass, steering, etc. on it when it returned form the paint shop. So I stayed with as many "Known Good" configurations during the initial assembly and testing phases.

Initially I had the PBR 11" with dual-piston calipers installed that came with the sn95 spindles (and only had 16" wheels then also). Same for the engine - used a TC top-mount charge cooler initially with the VAM to get things running.

Then I did the front suspension stuff with larger rotors/calipers/wheels. Then the rear suspension, brakes, diff, rear coil-overs, etc. Then the MAF conversion with larger injectors. Then the side-mount charge cooler and associated brackets and tubes. Somewhere in-between was a trip to the upholstery shop and other assorted stuff. And the exhaust system changes.

Get it running, change one thing, troubleshoot, fix. Add the next thing, lather, rinse, repeat.

Remember I got the chassis back from paint in early October, 2005 and it was collecting trophies at car shows by February. That was a busy couple months.

Long live Red.

Building Boost
    Thanks for posting the pics of the header. I called Kooks after talking to you about it on the other site. They said they don't make it but could do up a custom header for about a grand.

Mike, that is a VERY nice SVO. Gives me something to shoot for. My favorite color too.

Hope to have a progress report this weekend.
    "Stay boosted my friends"

Chris

That header is nicely built, but not for a grand. For that price I would go talk to Bo. I'm still a little surprised they no longer have the jig to build that header. Never heard of someone tossing a perfectly useful jig like that. I guess they just didn't have anough requests for the header. I know it was initially designed to mount in a Merkur using the stock turbo & internal WG.
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

Its a pretty simple header. I'm surprised that they want that much.
    Enough of that, it was giving me a headache.

Quote Originally Posted by dynoguy View Post
    Greg,

Tri Valley is still there. We just had them re bush some spindles for a king pin job. They built many many hotrod motors back in the day.

Chris
    Tom was the big guy and the other short guy - blond hair going bald - I forget his name. Those were the two guys I dealt with, I think they were both owners, there may have been a third guy? Am I right?

Sorry to have taken a month to respond and ask stupid memory lane questions on your thread.
    7B SL55

Half Boost
    Mike how many miles are on your SVO since the completion? (More specificly the header) When did you complete it? Do you know what gauge the header is?

^
    You talking to me??

The completed car has about 1200 miles since the restoration.

The header was purchased from Rod sometime in 2000 or 2001, iirc (it's a stock location unit, btw). The tube walls are EXTREMELY thick, in the 0.120+" range in a 300 series SS. The welds went through into the inside too much and left huge ridges inside the tubes (I have some pics somewhere). Then when the car was down for the restoration, I sent the header to my local porter to clean up the inside and back top Rod to fix the stud mounting issues (long story).

In any case there is A LOT of work in that particular piece with the tube porting and the EGT bung.

AFAIK Rod is not making these anymore.

If I have more time tomorrow (need to get back to the shop to fic some things I broke earlier!) I'll post a collection of historical header pics.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Tomorrow, I'll post a collection of historical header pics.

It's tomorrow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Meotchh
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Anyone who owns an SVO belongs in a Psychiatric hospital.

It's tomorrow
    Technically Yes. However it's also a race weekend, Suzuka, and my timezones are seriously messed up.

(aka Anonymous) Club Member Patrick's Avatar

It's Monday in Suzuka.
    "Just leave me alone. I know what to do" (Kimi)

It's Monday in Suzuka.
    Then I won't be home until Tuesday.

Incoming Inpsection Header Pics

Circa January, 2003. This is what it looked like when I first received it and it's easy to see it needs some work. Here's my notes from the initial inspection (and a few assorted poor-quality pictures):

01/30/2003

Header Photo Captions:

1) The first thing I noticed was the severe mis-alignment of the studs to the turbo mounting flange surface. Looks like the holes were drilled and tapped before welding and final surfacing.

2) Closer pic of a right-angle reference and one stud showing gap at top. All studs are parallel to each other.

3) Far side studs, showing gap at bottom. QC issue.

4) Bottom view.

5) Top rear view showing EGR fitting.

6) Top view. Ignore those parts in the background.

7) #4 tube inlet. Out-of-round inlets, very rough inside.

8) Close-up of tube inlet.

9) Shows (blurry) weld flash inside of tubes.

10) Collector view. "Figure 8" shape follows tube ends.

11) Compressed stock TO-3 gasket. Questionable ability for flange to compress sealing ridges. Note that header comes with 3/8 inch studs and gasket is designed for 10mm studs. Header did not come with this gasket.

12) Stock TO-3 gasket versus wider header gasket from Precision Engine. Both compressed.

13) Another pic of the two turbo gaskets, stock on top.

14) Outlet flange with larger gasket. This one will seal.

15) Test fit of turbine housing. Need two short and two long studs as studs are too long for top. Bottom studs have the thicker (87+) support bracket to take up slack. Nuts on bottom are finger-tight.

16) Still too long with two washers installed. Nuts are finger-tight and gasket isn't held yet on top.

17) Shows the flange thickness variation that probably contributed to the stud mis-alignment.

18) Different angle.

19) View of internal tube (#4). All tubes have these serious weld protrusions on tube inside. Note tube seam line.

20) Tube 3 and collector view.

21) Tube #2 and collector. This needs a trip to the porter to clean up the inside of the tubes.

22) Where the header is destined to live, ready for test fitting. All brackets removed.

23) Tools. 8mm internal hex Allen-head bolts supplied with header.

24) First test fit w/o turbine housing .All ancillaries are out of the way.

25) Bolt hole needs clearance over the #2 port for the 86 A/C bracket mount. 84/85 use the bolt hole over #1 tube. Marked area to grind with black marker.
    02.jpg06.jpg14.jpg15.jpg21.jpg26.jpg51.jpg66.jpg

Some [poor quality] pics after repairs and porting.
    08-02.jpg14-04.jpg20-09.jpg21-05.jpg21-06.jpg21-07.jpg21-10.jpg

Some more [high quality] pics after latest cleanup and EGT port addition. This is how it looks today on the red car.
    Img_8808.jpgImg_8817.jpgImg_8816.jpgImg_8815.jpgImg_8814.jpgImg_8812.jpgImg_8811.jpgImg_8809.jpgHeaderAddition.jpgHeaderAddition1.jpg