Thread: T3/T4 Question.

Noob

Question T3/T4 Question.

I found what might be a good deal on a "new" Garrett t3/t4, but I dont know much about sizing a turbo to an application. The specs for the turbo are .48 hot side and .50 turbine. So my question is would this be a good turbo for my 86 SVO. All that is done to my car is BoPort 1.5 cam and a full 3" exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by StealthVO View Post
    .48 hot side and .50 turbine
    did you mean .48 AR housing and a 50 trim compressor wheel? the .48 AR is nice for street use, and is what should be in your 86 already. 'trim' is usually referenced for the compressor and not the turbine; with T3 turbines its usually expressed as 'stage', normally a stage III turbine for T04 wheels. know what actual compressor wheel it is? the T04E 50 trim is a good fit; same goes for the 60-1 wheel, but it moves its airflow sweet spot up a few lb/min.

a great ref on the size process: http://forum.turboford.org/cgi-bin/u...c;f=4;t=000050

what kind of a 'deal' are you getting on this 'new' turbo? bo has genuine made in 'merica, 360 thrust, TO4E 50/stage3 oil cooled going for $700 (garret just jacked their prices recently). charlie offers a built 60-1/clipped stage 3 360 thrust step-gap seal for slightly more.
    "radar detectors are illegal in the Commonwealth of Virgina" "i bet cloaking devices are illegal too! good-bye!"

Building Boost
    You will enjoy it. Power is more linear and comes on smoother, at least in my case. I have the .68 exhaust so I don't hit full boost until 3800. I am sure with the lower AR you will see boost sooner.

I have been over to LaCrosse a few times, my wifes family is from the Sparta area. Had no idea there were so many SVO's floating so close.
    86 SVO 9L - 14.5@98 when stock (Sold)

That is the exact same turbo I sourced from Boport a month ago. $690 plus shipping. I thought it was a fair deal. Mine only has an oil cooled CHRA so some plumbing rerouting will be required.

Oh snap...Alex just posted this...
    "Any car that holds together for an entire race is too heavy". Colin Chapman

I found what might be a good deal on a "new" Garrett t3/t4, but I dont know much about sizing a turbo to an application. The specs for the turbo are .48 hot side and .50 turbine. So my question is would this be a good turbo for my 86 SVO. All that is done to my car is BoPort 1.5 cam and a full 3" exhaust.
    You first need to verify it's not a Chinese turbo. If it actually says Garrett on it then you are good. If there is an ID tag or cast ID area on the compressor housing and it says "Turbocharger" or T3/T4 on it, it's Chinese.

The numbers you provided tell us very little about the actual turbo. The .48 refers to the size of the exhaust housing (but says nothing about the exhaust wheel size) and the .50 just says how big the compressor housing is (and nothing about the compressor wheel). The numbers you provided would fit probably 200+ turbo configurations so they aren't specific enough to say anything about how good of a fit they are for your setup.

In other words, I'd suggest getting and providing us with much more info if you want accurate info about whether it's a good fit or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    did you mean .48 AR housing and a 50 trim compressor wheel? the .48 AR is nice for street use, and is what should be in your 86 already. 'trim' is usually referenced for the compressor and not the turbine; with T3 turbines its usually expressed as 'stage', normally a stage III turbine for T04 wheels. know what actual compressor wheel it is? the T04E 50 trim is a good fit; same goes for the 60-1 wheel, but it moves its airflow sweet spot up a few lb/min.

a great ref on the size process: http://forum.turboford.org/cgi-bin/u...c;f=4;t=000050

what kind of a 'deal' are you getting on this 'new' turbo? bo has genuine made in 'merica, 360 thrust, TO4E 50/stage3 oil cooled going for $700 (garret just jacked their prices recently). charlie offers a built 60-1/clipped stage 3 360 thrust step-gap seal for slightly more.
    The specs are a direct quote from the seller. I just asked him for more clarification and he has not responded yet. The turbo was listed on Craigslist for $300 and I havent seen it in person so I am not even sure if it is legit.

The turbo was listed on Craigslist for $300
    either the seller didnt do their homework, is really hard up for cash, or its Chinese.
    "radar detectors are illegal in the Commonwealth of Virgina" "i bet cloaking devices are illegal too! good-bye!"

Noob
    I have been over to LaCrosse a few times, my wifes family is from the Sparta area. Had no idea there were so many SVO's floating so close.[/QUOTE]

Weird isn't it? I have only seen 4 others not including mine, two of which were at car shows in the cities or the other side of the state.

Noob
    Well seeing that other associated parts he is selling are knockoffs I shouldnt get my hopes up.

Noob
    All he responded with is AR 50

All he responded with is AR 50
    In other words, he bought it with no real info and Chinese turbos are often (incorrectly) listed with a .50 compressor wheel...looks like a good reason to stay away from this "deal".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.