Thread: A/C components obsolete?

Building Boost

A/C components obsolete?

I am curious, but is there a source for new a/c components? My 84 svo has not been running in years and it seems like I can't seem to find a real definative answer as to whether there is an entire new system to purchase. At this point I have to assume everything is shot on my car.

Hose Wizard in the Atlanta area has a kit which replaces the compressor with a Sanden, new accumulator, condenser, liquid line and orifice. Uses R134A. About $750 IIRC. If you live in the Atlanta area, installation is free. I think the compressor can either be fitted with a V-Belt or serp belt.

I believe you can also go to an AC shop who can replace the components. They might not be numbers matching, but the system should work. You might also be able to find a new HR980 compressor (the original) around and possibly an NOS accumulator and use your old clutch. I believe you can find the condenser around but if your evaporator (under the dash) is bad or contaminated, you might have trouble finding that item. That system will also need to be converted from R-12 to R-134 which any credible AC shop can do.
    "Any car that holds together for an entire race is too heavy". Colin Chapman

(aka Anonymous) Club Member Patrick's Avatar

The eveporator core is the hardest nut to crack in the replacement process. You need to remove the dash and saw open the heater box in order to get to it.
    "Just leave me alone. I know what to do" (Kimi)

Building Boost
    Hmmm, ok. Well I guess I will have to hold off on all of this then. Like I said I assume everything is likely shot since the car hasn't been running in many years. Another issue to address. If the evaporator behind dash is shot is there a source for new ones?

(aka Anonymous) Club Member Patrick's Avatar

They're readily available.
    "Just leave me alone. I know what to do" (Kimi)