Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where's all the velvet?

Where's all the velvet?

So my glove box is lined with velvet or whatever, like it should be, but what else is suppose to be covered like that? I have heard of dashes being covered in it or something lol. Just wanted to be sure I have the right stuff! Also can a Hurst original shift knob have the leather re stretched over the core?
    '84 GT:375HP fun ride
    '84 SVO:stock daily ride...even winter
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(aka Anonymous) Club Member Patrick's Avatar

The dash panels are supposed to be fuzzy as well. 84's had the fuzz inside the glove box as well.

I will forward your leather shift knob request to a member who may want to become a vendor here.
    "Just leave me alone. I know what to do" (Kimi)

What's that tapping sound?? Chalky's Avatar
    The "fuzzy" stuff is called flocking and is use on a lot of arts and crafts projects. You can buy flocking materials and supplies from companies like Don Jer and the process, once you get the glue mixture right is actually pretty easy.

Should I write a tec article???

Quote Originally Posted by Chalky View Post
    The "fuzzy" stuff is called flocking and is use on a lot of arts and crafts projects. You can buy flocking materials and supplies from companies like Don Jer and the process, once you get the glue mixture right is actually pretty easy.

yes please.

(aka Anonymous) Club Member Patrick's Avatar

Kendal, show up at Sturgis and you can take pics for the article!

(Nudge, nudge, hint, HINT !!!)
    "Just leave me alone. I know what to do" (Kimi)

I did mine for all my cars using DonJer's product. I think they came out great. The double cardboard tube applicator called the Mini-Flocker Kit was around $25 which includes your color choice of glue and fibers. A couple of key points.
    -Use a low wattage soldering iron to melt out the plastic rivets holding the indicator and warning lamp gels in. A little heat does the job. Go easy!
    -Spread the glue on thick. That way you avoid "bald" spots.
    -Avoid too much glue around the turn indicators so they don't get filled in and misshapen.
    -Practice first on scrap parts.
    -Don't move/ handle for at least 24 hours. That way you don't get the nasty glue on your hands or your wife's slipcovers.
    -Blow on the flocking with light pressure using the applicator at 45 degrees to the work. You don't want to blow off the stuff you already applied. Use small strokes with the high tech applicator.
    -Don't touch them while drying. RESIST THE TEMPTATION...

I used the grey fiber which looked OK but too vivid and light IMHO, but then I tried the black on a set of junk panels and it was too dark. Then I tried a mix of grey and black. I think it came out great. I mixed up an equal amount of color and then sifted them together and applied. I'll find a pic at some point and post it.
    "Any car that holds together for an entire race is too heavy". Colin Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    The dash panels are supposed to be fuzzy as well. 84's had the fuzz inside the glove box as well.

I will forward your leather shift knob request to a member who may want to become a vendor here.
    Thanks you very much for your offer to talk to him! I would love that and especially if he gives discounts with cores. Do your best to get him here cuz he could make some good money
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyrhead View Post
    I did mine for all my cars using DonJer's product. I think they came out great. The double cardboard tube applicator called the Mini-Flocker Kit was around $25 which includes your color choice of glue and fibers. A couple of key points.
    -Use a low wattage soldering iron to melt out the plastic rivets holding the indicator and warning lamp gels in. A little heat does the job. Go easy!
    -Spread the glue on thick. That way you avoid "bald" spots.
    -Avoid too much glue around the turn indicators so they don't get filled in and misshapen.
    -Practice first on scrap parts.
    -Don't move/ handle for at least 24 hours. That way you don't get the nasty glue on your hands or your wife's slipcovers.
    -Blow on the flocking with light pressure using the applicator at 45 degrees to the work. You don't want to blow off the stuff you already applied. Use small strokes with the high tech applicator.
    -Don't touch them while drying. RESIST THE TEMPTATION...

I used the grey fiber which looked OK but too vivid and light IMHO, but then I tried the black on a set of junk panels and it was too dark. Then I tried a mix of grey and black. I think it came out great. I mixed up an equal amount of color and then sifted them together and applied. I'll find a pic at some point and post it.

Thanks very much! pictures would be great to know specifically where it should be located because I have it in the glove box but nowhere else

Quote Originally Posted by Chalky View Post

Many people would appreciate that!

Quote Originally Posted by Lanes84s View Post
    Thanks very much! pictures would be great to know specifically where it should be located because I have it in the glove box but nowhere else
    I didn't take any pictures, but I know Chalky did. On my 86's the only flocking is on the removable dash panels around the gauges and inlayed into the pass dash over the glove box. These are collectively referred to as the "fuzzy dash" panels

Quote Originally Posted by Gyrhead View Post
    I didn't take any pictures, but I know Chalky did. On my 86's the only flocking is on the removable dash panels around the gauges and inlayed into the pass dash over the glove box. These are collectively referred to as the "fuzzy dash" panels
    available after market? or should I really just do it myself...and was it an option? I don't want to add it if it wasn't supposed to have it

What's that tapping sound?? Chalky's Avatar
    The flocking on the dash panels is stock original and one of the many things that are SVO specific and make these cars unique. The flocking in the glovebox, dunno, but was only done on the 84's.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanes84s View Post
    available after market? or should I really just do it myself...and was it an option? I don't want to add it if it wasn't supposed to have it
    Good luck finding these NOS. They have been gone from Ford inventory for years. I bought a set from my dealer in 1998 and they were being obsoleted them, I was told. You might be able to find some around, but they will likely NFS or outrageously expensive.

Flock them yourself, or send them out. it's easy and fun. The hardest part is removing the old flocking and glue!

Half Boost
    Do it yourself and you can look at mine Sunday if you want to see what it looks like after your done. I have the applicator so don't buy one of those. Do buy a good brush to put it on with though, the one that comes with it ends up in the flocking.

Yeah, don't use a foam brush. Use a disposable good quality one as the glue is impervious to everything.. While this post was going on, I went down stairs and flocked the back side of the pass panel with my gray/black mixture as a test. Since there is nothing to clean off the backside, I went right to town on it. Took all of 2 minutes. We have been having some wicked tropical humidity the last few weeks so I don't expect it to dry anytime soon. The key is to get good coverage with the flocking. Really coat it. Any extra gets dumped off and recycled or tossed. They give you tons..more than you'll ever need for a set of panels so don't worry about wasting it. Don't forget to get the edges and bevels inside the gauge and indicator cutouts. Also use a mask or N95 respirator. The stuff is pretty fine and you don't want to get black lung disease applying the stuff.

Half Boost
    Yea I used the brush they gave me and there are streeks in the glue, resulting in lines you can see in just the right light. But not enough to notice 99% of the time. While we are on the subject it looks like my consol around the clock was flocked on my 84 does that sound correct or was that leather? Hard to tell at this point!

There is a really good tutorial that Mike Martinelli did on the re-fuzzy.
    http://www.mikemartinelli.com/index....anel+refurbish
    I did it this way and it turned out great. Got the charcoal gray flocking and paint/glue along with the mini flocker here
    http://www.craftflocking.com/
    Not exactly concourse correct but close and looks great (they look lighter in photos than they really are). Super easy to do. The hardest part is getting the lenses off and back on the panel but even that is simple if you use a little patience.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    86 1D #9823
    H&R Sport Springs, T-Coupe Intercooler, CAI, Bosch Bypass, 3" DP

Thank you everyone! Bruce I'll look at yours tomorrow and see how it should be but the pictures up there ^ are really good, nice car! the panels that are in there look exactly like the ones from my GT except all the smoke that's on there -.-! But thanks again!

Some Boost
    man i honestly had no idea what half of this car looked like brand new lol.. i am scouring ebay looking for those parts to replace what went missing over the years.
    Not sure if i like the 80s flocking, i sanded my panel and painted it black just to get it away from the offgrey color it was (no fuzzy left)

Well my '84 GT is a gray color, I like it. But I want to go all original, but Bruce informed me that every one was different from the factory basically and they could always be changed at the dealership :/. It looks and feels like there is a tiny bit of flocking left so I'll do my best to put it on there in the future. Good news is that I purchased a newish hatch from an SVO to replace my rotted out hatch...$20 is a winner in my opinion lol but no biwing