Thread: Stock radio repair

Building Boost

Stock radio repair

Ok, it sounds weird, but is there any place to have the stock stereo restored? I just don't feel like cutting the dash for a modern radio. Yes it would work alot better but I want to keep the stock look.

First off, what problem(s) are you having with the stock headunit? The radios are pretty basic to work on if you have just a little knowledge of electronics.

You can also check out http://www.pyramid-audio.com . Contact them & see if they can help you out. They are an excellent source for modifications & repairs of aftermarket equipment. They are in no way related to the flea market car audio brand Pyramid.
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

Building Boost
    Well more specifically I have a stock head unit of unknown working condition that came with the car. I do have an aftermarket unit, but I don't want to cut the dash to be honest. I would rather have someone go through the thing and just make it work like new. Yes I know sound quality is poor and such, however I just listen to the radio from time to time and am not some audiophile with extreme enthusiast level requirements. Also I would prefer a stock look. Thank you for clarifying the pyramid company because I thought it was the junk stereo company at first.

Some Boost
    Try these guys.
    www.classiccarstereos.com

or

http://www.vintagecarradio.com/

or

My stock 86 SVo premium sound stereo has issues with crackling sounds when you adjust the volume and the sound kind of goes in and out. My wifes cousin who is a musician said to pull the adjustment knobs and spray the controls with electrical contact cleaner. CRC makes some.

I tried it and it made a huge difference. Not 100% but pretty damn close. I would have never thought. I sprayed with ignition off and then worked the knobs a couple of dozen times each. Volume adjustment now works like it should.

Building Boost
    I'll have to try that too then, because mine does the same thing.

That is one of the easiest fixes on these radios. Make sure the contact cleaner you are using is safe for all plastics, it should note that on the can. Another good thing to have is a can or two of compressed air to blow out the internals of the radio. I normally spray the adjuster knobs with the contact cleaner, work it in until it dries by turning back-n-forth, spray a second time & blow it dry with the compressed air.

***If you choose to use an air compressor be sure you have an excellent filter to prevent moisture in the line & you should cut back on the pressure to no more than 20psi.***

Maybe we can work on a technical write up at Knott's next year.
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...