Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thread: This is getting ridiculous

This is getting ridiculous

So, while waiting for my Boport head (for what seems like an eternity), I have been amusing myself by building one of my small journal motors. I have a bunch of NOS blocks and cranks from the Gyrhead days and finally decided to put one together. I have been accumulating parts for the last few month and am pretty much ready to go. I found a set of N/A rods (with pistons), tossed the pistons and measured the journal openings for size. I also got the rods magnafluxed and ready to go. I had the 3/4" hole for the oil return machined, set the crank, measured oil clearances and blueprinted all dimensions. Now the kicker. I CANNOT find a set of standard bore forged pistons to save my life. All the ones out there are oversized. What is a lad to do? Any thoughts? As a last resort, anyone have a set of stock workable SVO pistons and pins they want to sell?

I would rather not bore a brand new block .020 or.030 and incur that expense.
    "Any car that holds together for an entire race is too heavy". Colin Chapman

Building Boost
    think there is a set of stock turbo pistons and rod at the machine shop that came out of my motor
    the new pistons and rods should be here today so i can check in the morning
    cost will be shipping if you want

these are svo

If you're looking for new pistons, I can have CP make them for the stock bore size. They aren't cheap but they are top notch quality and would come with premium rings, pins, and clips.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by rickibrat2 View Post
    think there is a set of stock turbo pistons and rod at the machine shop that came out of my motor
    the new pistons and rods should be here today so i can check in the morning
    cost will be shipping if you want

these are svo
    That would be great. I have an extra set of E44K rings too. Just let me know if you get a chance.

Shannon, what is the approx price range of CPs. Can they use the stock rod or are they for stroker rods?

You talking stock 2.3 or 2.5 rods? Big difference between those two.

Note that all stock rods are intended for a press-fit piston pin. I think the pistons Shannon is referring to (that comes with pins and clips) are intended for a full-float rod install.

Best get that sorted out before ordering.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Building Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post

Note that all stock rods are intended for a press-fit piston pin. I think the pistons Shannon is referring to (that comes with pins and clips) are intended for a full-float rod install.

what i have is a set of stock 2.3 rods and pistons out of a 1984 svo they are press fit

Mike, agreed... ideally, what I am looking for is a set of stock pistons or stock replacement pistons for press fit pins using the stock 2.3 rods.. Alternatively, I am gathering data on the cost on Shannon's suggestion in the event I don't find the former...

Sorry for my confusion: Are you using a 2.3 or 2.5 block?

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

2.3 small journal E83E casting number block and matching 2.3 small journal crank (E9TZ). Was going to use stock 2.3 (5.2047") D4 casting number rods, not 5.7" rods.

Paul,

Give my dad a call at his shop. He should be able to take care of you.

Frank Harris
    Frank's Head & Engine Service
    (770) 229-1888

He took care of Tony & Pat when they needed crower rods no one else could seem to get.

Tell him I told him to call, that should surely double the price

BTW, we are transplants originally from Boston so he doesn't tawk funee.
    Last edited by Meotchh; 08-20-2012 at 06:21 PM. Reason: BTW
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

Quote Originally Posted by Gyrhead View Post
    Shannon, what is the approx price range of CPs. Can they use the stock rod or are they for stroker rods?
    There are almost no limitations on the "custom" pistons. Can be made for any crank/rod length configuration.

As for the pressed fit vs full floating. The stock rods would need to be machined on the small end to be full floating. It's possible CP could make the pistons like the stock pistons for the stock rods but I've never asked. Typically people use Crower or other aftermarket rods which aren't press fit so it's not a common situation.

They are ~$600 when custom made for your application.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Or about a weeks worth of scope creep ($$ wise).

Building Boost
    Or about a weeks worth of scope creep ($$ wise).
    Ain't that the truth!

Chris

Building Boost
    i do have a set of stock pistons and rods still attached to each other that came out of my SVO motor they are a 1984 set you are welcome to just message me with mailing address and i will ship them for the cost of the shipping think i also have a new set of stock lifters that came with the mileage unknow as the dash as been changed some time in he past to a GT unit

Building Boost
    pistons sent