Thread: Track day brake upgrades...?

Track day brake upgrades...?

Did my first high speed Track Day event with the SVO last night. During the longest stretch (about 15 laps in) it was evident that the weight and speed was more than the "almost" stock brakes can handle. Chasing down a BMW coming off a long straight, braking hard for a tight left - the brakes just faded away. Managed to stay on the track (barely). After a scary recovery, finished the lap to the pit exit, brakes came right back. Humbly proceeded to the pit to empty my shorts and catch my breath.

Currently brakes are stock other than Hawk HPS on front. Has performed very well with autocross. But now that I have the bug for faster/longer events, it seems a brake upgrade is a must.

Trying to stay “stock appearing” as possible. Question for you trackday folks – will a set of Hawk HP Plus Racing Compound pads (F&R) and slotted rotors suffice (SSBC)? Or do I need to go all out with different spindles, calipers, Cobra 13”, SN95, etc?
    Bad choices make great stories....!

Half Boost
    Were you running your stock wheels? I had the same experience with stock brakes and wheels. I removed the backing plates and put on more open wheels, (like your track wheels) changed the brake fluid and added cooling ducts and they worked without over heating.

Some Boost
    You can stay with your stock setup, but you will want to go with Hawk Blues up front. I use Motorcraft Dot3 fluid and change it out every season. Open up the cooling hole in the dust plate and add some brake cooling ducts.

Quote Originally Posted by brsvo View Post
    Were you running your stock wheels?
    Yes. Won't be doing that ever again.

I removed the backing plates and put on more open wheels, (like your track wheels) changed the brake fluid and added cooling ducts and they worked without over heating.
    Thanks Bruce! Cooling will be next, got any photos of how you attached / routed ducts?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    You can stay with your stock setup, but you will want to go with Hawk Blues up front. I use Motorcraft Dot3 fluid and change it out every season. Open up the cooling hole in the dust plate and add some brake cooling ducts.
    Thanks Mike! Already have the Motorcraft fluid (bottle says 538 deg) and I'll look into the Hawk Blues.
    How did you attach/route your ducts?

Half Boost
    I just went to the hardware store and bought plastic flex downspout pipe or dryer ducting. Then put it on with electrical zip ties in the fog light holes and to the control arms as I recall. It stayed there for a couple of seasons. It has been off a couple of years now.

Some Boost
    How did you attach/route your ducts?
    I used deflectors. I made a wedge shape plastic part that I zip tied to the front LCAs. This helped divert air under the car towards the hole in the dust shield that I opened up a bit.

Half Boost
    Deflectors sound interesting, do you have any pictures?

Some Boost
    Deflectors sound interesting, do you have any pictures?
    I looked for any photos, but couldn't find any. I got the idea from my 300ZXTT. It has some made of fiber reinforced rubber. They were ~3/4" on the inboard side and ~2 1/2" at the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    I used deflectors. I made a wedge shape plastic part that I zip tied to the front LCAs. This helped divert air under the car towards the hole in the dust shield that I opened up a bit.
    Do they look like this...?

IMG_1425adj-L (1).jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images