Thread: 85.5 1C on L.I.

85.5 1C on L.I.

Saw this on CL & figured I'd post it up. Looks decent.

http://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/3876640442.html
    '85GT
    '93COBRA

It does look like very nice car for the price.
    The Machine speaks for itself !!

Are y'all serious? $9200 for 101k miles, door dings and rust on the fenders?
    86 1D #9823
    H&R Sport Springs, T-Coupe Intercooler, CAI, Bosch Bypass, 3" DP

85.5 with a 3rd brake light???
    1979 Pace Car ~ 1982 GT T-Top
    1986 1C SVO ~ 1986 GT vert

Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    85.5 with a 3rd brake light???
    X2 I thought the 85.5 didn't have the 3rd light.

For the record:

According the applicable year of FMVSS, high-mounted "third" brake lamps were allowed in MY 1985 and required in MY 1986. Fleet vehicles in MY 1985 often had them such as rental cars.

OTOH, I do not recall ever seeing an 85.5 SVO with one from the factory. Patrick or Kendal would probably know more than I.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Quote Originally Posted by BrianM View Post
    I agree. A bit off on price.
    '85GT
    '93COBRA

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    For the record:

According the applicable year of FMVSS, high-mounted "third" brake lamps were allowed in MY 1985 and required in MY 1986. Fleet vehicles in MY 1985 often had them such as rental cars.

OTOH, I do not recall ever seeing an 85.5 SVO with one from the factory. Patrick or Kendal would probably know more than I.
    I also remember a lot of people having them added, especially the 84/85's where there wasn't a lot of changes to the spoilers, trunk lids etc. I seem to remember my Dad being pissed that the dealer tried to tell him he was required to change the trunk lid on his 85 Buick to an 86, for a charge of course.
    1984 Mercury Capri RS
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    For the record:

Correct. I know Chris Weber's 85.5 9L had a 3rd brake light. But as the story goes, someone damaged his original spoiler and the dealer could only get the 86 version as a replacement....

So any perspective buyer - check the VIN to ensure it's legit as an 85.5, especially before plunking down that amount of coin.

JT
    1979 Pace Car ~ 1982 GT T-Top
    1986 1C SVO ~ 1986 GT vert

I just wrote him asking if he is the original owner, & if so, was that upper brake light a factory installation on his car.

If it is a late 85.5 maybe Ford did what it is so famous for, and slapped them on a few of the later mid year cars that went out the door.
    Ron
    The problem I never fix on my cars is the nut that holds the steering wheel

(aka Anonymous) Club Member Patrick's Avatar

I've seen several "last day of production" 85.5 SVO's. None had the stoplight on the hatch. I took the Colonel's to Kentucky for a Reunion. The original owner Ford engineer recounted how they tried to talk him in to changing the order to an 86. He declined , due to wanting the low production number and because he "Didn't want that ugly third stoplight". All you need from the seller is the VIN number to verify whether it is a 85.5 or 86. EF: 84, FF: 85, GF: 86.
    "Just leave me alone. I know what to do" (Kimi)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I've seen several "last day of production" 85.5 SVO's. None had the stoplight on the hatch. I took the Colonel's to Kentucky for a Reunion. The original owner Ford engineer recounted how they tried to talk him in to changing the order to an 86. He declined , due to wanting the low production number and because he "Didn't want that ugly third stoplight". All you need from the seller is the VIN number to verify whether it is a 85.5 or 86. EF: 84, FF: 85, GF: 86.
    This is what he replied:

"Hi Ron, thanks for your reply. The 3rd brake light question has me scratching my head a little. I did a little research and found a website that states " The '85.5 SVO also received the flush mount headlights but still had no third brake light (an easy way to distinguish an '85.5 from an '86). These are just some of the easily noticeable changes" So based on that you would be correct. But then theres the question of how would a rear spoiler with the brake like end up on this car? It was built in 6/85 which would make it about the middle of the production run of 85.5's. I can also see the upper and lower spoiler and the painted hatch itself all have patina that is consistent with the rest of the car. possibly a factory mix up? Kind of a mystery that Ive honesty never noticed after looking at this car 100's of times. I am the 3rd owner of this car. Another unusual thing I noticed on this car is what I believe is a block heater of some kind. The car was delivered in NH as far as i know. This is one car I know I will regret selling. All you need to do is watch a Mecum auction and watch other high performance limited production original cars bring money you can buy houses for. Ive even heard rumors Ford is going to re release the SVO name using the ecoboost engine."

I replied that 6/85 would be late in the production year, and if he would send me the VIN, we could see if some of the SVO gurus could figure it out. I also told him that I was not a buyer, but an interested party.....I haven't heard back from him.
    Ron
    The problem I never fix on my cars is the nut that holds the steering wheel

If it was an 85.5, someone would have added wiring to the third brake light - I'm assuming it actually lights??

Any of the previous owners could have changed the rear wing/spoiler. It's not difficult to make mods/repairs look as good as - or better - than factory new.

VIN would be very useful.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Quote Originally Posted by BrianM View Post
    maybe not a serious seller? Or maybe the market is stronger? only time will tell.

It's worth what ever someone is willing to pay for it.
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

It appears he still has it for sale. Price dropped to 6500. I inquired about it also back when I was looking but found it was still titled in NH from the person I guess he bought it off of. I told him that was a issue for me to register in NY and to title it in his name then let me know. Never heard back. Something must be up to still be for sale.

This thread is being moved to the all new forum section, SVOs in the wild. You asked for it & we listened. A new section to post 3rd party SVO for sale ads will open SOON!

Now let's get those orders in for the all new SVOCOP T-shirt before you're one of the few people that aren't in the cool crowd.
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...